• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

loyalty to my Instructor/husband

Some parents (like me) want to take the class with their children. 2 separate classes means twice the time.

I would not attend classses if they were separate.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you don't need two classes. the adults and children can just be taught separately in one class.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

you don't need two classes. the adults and children can just be taught separately in one class.

This can work, if there is enough room and enough instructors available for both. Otherwise, someone loses out on class time.

This is why it's never good to date your students. Sensei even lost his mind when I dated someone in a class that I wasn't the instructor. I will never ever do that again. Maybe cuz i'm about to get married, and my fiance says i'm not allowed to date. :bawling: Done Preaching!

Kids and adults do not learn the same way, and should not be in the class together. Some adults may be embarrassed when the little kids can do better than them, and are more flexible. :lol:

The real issue is the learning thing. Your pace will be all off and your retention will suffer one way or the other. If you look at your kids classes, you have mostly younger kids, and teens don't wanna be white belts in front of younger higher ranking kids. Check this out, you'll see im right. If you have teens, they are high ranking and started long ago. Your classes will be short of teen white belts.

We all want the best retention possible, so arranging your classes to accomidate the most students effectvely is best. I suggest years and years of trial and error. :wink:

Good luck

place clever martial arts phrase here

First, do you really think your ready to teach your own school/club upon attaining your first black belt rank? Personally, I wouldn't even contemplate such a move till I was at least a Sandan, and then only if I didn't have any other options open for training. I personally think you should be a Yondan before going out on your own. The knowledge, and un-supervised teaching style just isn't quite there yet at Shodan.

Kids can learn with and from adults around them in class, and adults can learn from some kids. All students in a school should learn a little humility as junior students, regardless of their age. My school has several teenage black belts, with between 5-7 years experience in the art each, do I treat them with less respect than an adult black belt? The only problem I have with being in class with kids is the younger, less attentive kids can be a distraction at times. It would be nice if the junior students (lower grades) that are kids were separated, but not an absolute neccesity. But on the other hand that's what those less attentive kids are there to learn isn't it? And what better way then to be in class next to adults that are paying very close attention.

I guess the real question here is, why would you question your husband in a matter of martial arts training if he's a 5th Dan, and has obviously, by nature of his grade, been teaching this way for many years? Don't you feel like he know's what he's doing by now? Do you feel like you were getting the proper instruction from him as a student?

Geez Rick_72, do you think you could knock her down any more? Lighten up mate!

A persons grade is no indication of their teaching ability! I have now been training for 19 years and am only just looking at Sandan. So does that mean (by your definition) that because we have hard requirements for grading and it takes a long time that I am not equiped for teaching after 19 years? On the other hand, I know quite a few Yondans that are useless teachers. Technical ability and Knowledge do not make you a good teacher.

Also, just because she chooses to do things differently to her husband does not mean she doesn't respect his teaching, just that she feels there's ways to improve on that and rather than trying to change him, is looking to branch out on her own.

All power to her I say! You go girl!

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I guess the real question here is, why would you question your husband in a matter of martial arts training if he's a 5th Dan, and has obviously, by nature of his grade, been teaching this way for many years? Don't you feel like he know's what he's doing by now?

greater experience or rank doesn't necessarily make one right.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Geez Rick_72, do you think you could knock her down any more? Lighten up mate!

A persons grade is no indication of their teaching ability! I have now been training for 19 years and am only just looking at Sandan. So does that mean (by your definition) that because we have hard requirements for grading and it takes a long time that I am not equiped for teaching after 19 years? On the other hand, I know quite a few Yondans that are useless teachers. Technical ability and Knowledge do not make you a good teacher.

Also, just because she chooses to do things differently to her husband does not mean she doesn't respect his teaching, just that she feels there's ways to improve on that and rather than trying to change him, is looking to branch out on her own.

All power to her I say! You go girl!

I'm sorry if that's the way it sounded, it certainly wasn't my intention. My last paragraph was simply filled with questions I'd be asking myself if I were in her situation. I'm not sure that she said she didn't respect his teaching either, I think she just has a difference in opinion on a couple of his methods.

Your one hundred percent correct on technical ability and teaching ability. I guess my problem with that is that from all I've learned, and read, and just flat out been told (at least with Okinawan arts) is that one of the tenants of martial arts is being able to pass on what you've learned to keep the lineage alive. Shouldn't leadership and instruction methods be being taught along with your martial arts?

okay, Rick you have a good point and to those questions, I did ask myself whether I was getting good instruction and being a lower rank didn't have a lot to compare to until other teachers came through the organization and through the years I had an opportunity to visit other dojos and go to various seminars. I am not talking about teaching after obtaining my black belt. I actually have been helping teach for a year and was talking about after another year or two. You have some very valid points however, and I think Jiffy knows this, :roll: it is very hard to advise on this type of situation if you have not be there. Just because I question certain methods of running an organization does not mean I disrespect it or him. Let me make mention that he has a full time career in additiion to him teaching Karate, and I have more time to dedicate than him. There are many other aspects to the situation, but I certainly appreciate everyone honesty and advice. :idea: If I didn't want the truth I would not post on this forum, which is great simply because every one has a different perspective.

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

I agree with one of the above posters.

If you have not gotten to black belt yet, why are you thinking about starting your own school (I assume that is what you mean by "branching out")?

You may be a very capable teacher, but having only a few years under your belt, do you feel now is the time to go solo? Relax, enjoy the scenery, enjoy where you are and learn as much as you can.

bat

Being a shodan is about learning what you DON'T know about what you know.