• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

pyung ahn cho dan hyung for tang soo do

TSD= back fist

Shito Ryu= Hammer fist\block

I like the Shito Ryu application best. Considering that GM KEE "learned the form from a book" he may have just chosen to make it a back fist.

Shito Ryu teachs it as a hammer fist. As you advance you see alternative application as being a downward block, then a perry block (the technique in question), then a foward punch.

Hey Scott James,

How was korea? Our TSD school does backfist, but according to original TSD publications it IS a hammerfist.

Next time we catch up (are you back from Korea) I'll show you my new copy of Hwang Kee's volume.

Hey, I want a copy too!!!! :karate: :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking in GM Ho Sik Pak's TSD manual right now at the discussed technique in Pyang Ahn Cho Dan. GM Pak executes a backfist immediately after the low block and before the hammer fist. My question is, why a backfist that low? The answer to this comes a few pages later where application of this series of techniques is shown. An attacker has taken hold of the wrist area as the low block is executed. The backfist frees the wrist and is followed by the hammer strike.

TANG SOO!

So, it seems that the interpretation can be a backfist, a release technique, or a combination of them.

So it would seem. Very good reference for TSD and Korean practitioners alike, this book is. (I'm not trying to sound like Yoda. I really talk like this). :karate:

TANG SOO!

• 8 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I learned it as a hammer fist after breaking from a hold. I think it's obviously going to simply depend on your specific school and instructor. What ones intended application often will effect the angle of the said hammer fist/back fist.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!