• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassai-Dai Bunkai

cathal

how about this, when you turn , your right back hand palm softly diverts an opponent left punch from under your left hand which is raised now, then you left forearm down block actually strike the back of the opponent elbow then step up(out) and right punch to the rib.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about this, when you turn , your right back hand palm softly diverts an opponent left punch from under your left hand which is raised now, then you left forearm down block actually strike the back of the opponent elbow then step up(out) and right punch to the rib.

Cool. Very nice. I would not have thought about using the right hand. Thank you! :karate:

Okee dokee, maybe you guys can give some suggestions then. Chon Ji hyung, my white belt form, starts with a down block to the right with the left arm in left front stance, and then step and right punch. I can think of a block to a low kick, and then punching, but is there more I could do? Like simulate a takedown? I just am not very creative.

Yeah the first thing to consider is that every part of the kata is there for a reason. If it starts out in a natural stance, the setup for the punch can be a grab, or a wrist lock. The downward block could be a throw, locking up an attacker from the side and the punch is taking out the second attacker for good.

The key is thinking simple, you can think creative later on. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

here's a bunkai for the stepping punch following the downward block:

your opponent throws a right punch or reaches out to grab you with their right hand. you catch their wrist and draw it to your waist with your left hand while stepping forward into the front stance. your right leg lands behind their right leg, and your right arm is thrown forward across the top of their body or their neck (the 'punch'), causing them to lose balance and fall.

when studying kata, i consider the following things:

every movement is significant. for example, you don't hold one hand at your waist just because it looks nice.

directions and turns in kata have meaning. they're not just turning to face an attacker coming from an arbitrary direction, the turn is part of the combat technique.

stances are important. they're not there just to give you good balance, they're there to give your opponent bad balance (as in the above example).

each movement (each big step and associated hand movements) should defeat the opponent.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Cool. Very nice. I would not have thought about using the right hand. Thank you! :karate:

what do you think about bunkai of turning left but this time middle block instead of down block then punch.

what do you think about bunkai of turning left but this time middle block instead of down block then punch.

The second half of the form has middle blocks, followed by a step and punch. Let's see...........block a left hand punch, then apply a grab as soon as the block lands. Then step forward and twist the arm, and instead of punching, apply pressure to the tricep tendon above the elbow to facilitate an arm bar? How does that sound?

The second half of the form has middle blocks, followed by a step and punch. Let's see...........block a left hand punch, then apply a grab as soon as the block lands. Then step forward and twist the arm, and instead of punching, apply pressure to the tricep tendon above the elbow to facilitate an arm bar? How does that sound?

yes , we do almost exact move, but like most of our techniques, back hand does the soft block and left hand come from under and blocks/hits the elbow and grabs ,then we continue like what you said.

here is another oyo for the same move, you can apply this in full contact againt a jab, when the left punch comes, step out and parry with right back hand at the same time stick the rigth hand(from underneath of left hand) straight to the chest with a vertical one knucke punch right under nipple , this is not a jab ,you throw in with penetration, then your middle block hits the elbow while your sliding back just a little , after grabing the elbow you you step in for hitting the floating ribs.

yes , we do almost exact move, but like most of our techniques, back hand does the soft block and left hand come from under and blocks/hits the elbow and grabs ,then we continue like what you said.

here is another oyo for the same move, you can apply this in full contact againt a jab, when the left punch comes, step out and parry with right back hand at the same time stick the rigth hand(from underneath of left hand) straight to the chest with a vertical one knucke punch right under nipple , this is not a jab ,you throw in with penetration, then your middle block hits the elbow while your sliding back just a little , after grabing the elbow you you step in for hitting the floating ribs.

Wow, very nice. Would like to see that worked out, just to get it right.

I will gladly help out. Start out small like bunkai for a single punch. Just start thinking about what the ohter arm is doing too. :)

yes! i currently practice three different bunkai for the basic karate 'lunge punch' oi-tsuki found in kata, and none of them use the movement as a punch!

Okee dokee, maybe you guys can give some suggestions then. Chon Ji hyung, my white belt form, starts with a down block to the right with the left arm in left front stance, and then step and right punch. I can think of a block to a low kick, and then punching, but is there more I could do? Like simulate a takedown? I just am not very creative.

I was talking to my students about this just the other day. Don't feel the need to over-complicate Bunkai. This is probably the most common mistake. Sometimes, the movements are "hidden" into the Kata and it is up to us to find them, but sometimes, the movement is just as it looks. If it's a block and punch, sure it's possible that there's more to it, but in a lot of cases, it's acceptable to think of it as nothing more than just a block and a punch. :karate:

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I will gladly help out. Start out small like bunkai for a single punch. Just start thinking about what the ohter arm is doing too. :)

yes! i currently practice three different bunkai for the basic karate 'lunge punch' oi-tsuki found in kata, and none of them use the movement as a punch!

I was talking to my students about this just the other day. Don't feel the need to over-complicate Bunkai. This is probably the most common mistake. Sometimes, the movements are "hidden" into the Kata and it is up to us to find them, but sometimes, the movement is just as it looks. If it's a block and punch, sure it's possible that there's more to it, but in a lot of cases, it's acceptable to think of it as nothing more than just a block and a punch. :karate:

Thank you all. I will keep all of these things in mind.