• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which movement is that in the Kata?

Sorry.

Here is a link to the webpage with the Bassai-Dai diagram.

http://www.ucc.ie/karate/Katas.html

It is on the right hand side of the menu, the movements I'm referring to are specifically on the top part of the diagram in the middle.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

For moves 27-30 has anyone seen an application such that the performer rotates their body away from a punch to grab the attacker with their legs? I saw this application online in a video search.

It's kind of hard to explain but here goes. The leg which is up and coming down instead goes around the attacker's abdomen and then the other leg lifts up off the ground and to the other side, then the performer uses their weight to take down the attacker. The gedan berai would, in this case, be a strike to the head of the attacker.

Then the performer gets up for the next series of movements.

Does anyone think this is a good application of the kata? Or perhaps is there another application you recommend?

i mentioned this in my first post, if it is the same move we're talking about. i would interpret it slightly differently. one of the opponent's arms is gripped at your waist with your hikite, your other hand around his body. as you move in to bring him down, you trip him (i.e. your leg goes around his legs, rather than his abdomen), then the gedan-barai to the head.

both applications are essentially the same thing. leg techniques in kata are performed higher today than they originally were, so in a movement where the leg is around the opponent's chest hight, it would have originally been performed around the opponent's knee height, which is why i interpret it as a trip.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

That's some good information, thanks :)

Regarding the double-punch (what my system refers to as the mountain punch), moves 32-37. I've interpreted that as being grabbed in a headlock, but there are two other sets of punching, what else do you think you could use?

- Sun-tzu

For the double punch, we use it as double lapel grab. As soon as grabbed, knee to groin, smash down using forearm on attackers forearm, then smash to the face. Slide arm between attackers grip, step outside of attacker and apply a hip throw. Keep a hold of their arm, follow them to the ground and apply an arm lock, squat down using knee on their face.

It is fun to practise.

I think it would be beneficial to be able to apply defenses against both trained and untrained attackers, and by looking at the various posts here, the bunkai can vary enough to allow one to do this. It is good to try to prepare for as many variables as you can!

Well put for someone who does not practice bunkai. I would agree completely.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I think it would be beneficial to be able to apply defenses against both trained and untrained attackers, and by looking at the various posts here, the bunkai can vary enough to allow one to do this. It is good to try to prepare for as many variables as you can!

Well put for someone who does not practice bunkai. I would agree completely.

I am hoping to perhaps start developing some of my own bunkai for the forms in my system. Surely I can come up with something. I am not overly creative, though, so I may need to get a brainstorming group to help out. Different takes would be a good thing, I think.

I am hoping to perhaps start developing some of my own bunkai for the forms in my system. Surely I can come up with something. I am not overly creative, though, so I may need to get a brainstorming group to help out. Different takes would be a good thing, I think.

I will gladly help out. Start out small like bunkai for a single punch. Just start thinking about what the ohter arm is doing too. :)

- Sun-tzu

I will gladly help out. Start out small like bunkai for a single punch. Just start thinking about what the ohter arm is doing too. :)

yes! i currently practice three different bunkai for the basic karate 'lunge punch' oi-tsuki found in kata, and none of them use the movement as a punch!

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

yes! i currently practice three different bunkai for the basic karate 'lunge punch' oi-tsuki found in kata, and none of them use the movement as a punch!

Okee dokee, maybe you guys can give some suggestions then. Chon Ji hyung, my white belt form, starts with a down block to the right with the left arm in left front stance, and then step and right punch. I can think of a block to a low kick, and then punching, but is there more I could do? Like simulate a takedown? I just am not very creative.