• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to teach my son to keep his hands up when sparring? He seems to be doing pretty good at sparring but when he goes to kick his hands drop.

I'm a little neurotic about the whole sparring thing anyway. Since he became a green belt there's not to many kids his size and age (6 1/2), so he's sparring with kids much bigger than him. This isn't a problem for him as much as it is for me because I don't want him to get hurt. They wear full equipment but still... :-? I have to say that I'm very proud of him. He's gained so much courage and confidence and has no problem getting in there and sparring but as for me watching him well that's a whole different thing! :(

Lately I'm working on him blocking more than hitting since he doesn't have much kicking or punching power yet. But when he does go to kick for some reason his hands drop and he gets hit.

Any ideas on how to help him? Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have him spar you at home and if he drops his hands while he kicks make him do 10 push ups.

Also make his sensei watch for that he might know something better, but pushups usually work for me

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido

He's sparring at 6? And he's a green belt? Holy smoke, when did you start him, in the womb??

My son is 7 and is quite mature for his age, but I don't think it's appropriate for him to spar yet, though he has all the tools to do so. I just don't think kids that age are mature enough emotionally to understand the implications of striking another person, protective gear or not. I teach karate to children, and I know the kids in our area start wrestling as early as 5, but I think this is different than the harder aspects of striking arts. I started boxing when I was about 9 and that was about right for me.

Anyway, as far as your question goes, keep in mind the kid is SIX. Remember back to when you were that age. Most kids at 6 can't blow their noses without help, much less be coordinated and mature enough to understand how to punch and kick and defend properly. Be patient and encouraging, and give the child time, and he'll get it eventually.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Have him spar you at home and if he drops his hands while he kicks make him do 10 push ups.

Also make his sensei watch for that he might know something better, but pushups usually work for me

Thanks! I'll try the push ups. One of his instuctors told me when he drops his hands when we're sparring to hit him off the top of his head. I'm not sure if I agree with that one though.

He's sparring at 6? And he's a green belt? Holy smoke, when did you start him, in the womb??

My son is 7 and is quite mature for his age, but I don't think it's appropriate for him to spar yet, though he has all the tools to do so. I just don't think kids that age are mature enough emotionally to understand the implications of striking another person, protective gear or not. I teach karate to children, and I know the kids in our area start wrestling as early as 5, but I think this is different than the harder aspects of striking arts. I started boxing when I was about 9 and that was about right for me.

Anyway, as far as your question goes, keep in mind the kid is SIX. Remember back to when you were that age. Most kids at 6 can't blow their noses without help, much less be coordinated and mature enough to understand how to punch and kick and defend properly. Be patient and encouraging, and give the child time, and he'll get it eventually.

With respect,

Sohan

I agree with you and I'm not to happy about him sparring so young but it's the way the school is run. They need to spar at orange and green but they get tested in sparring at green to move up. He started at 4.

That's all I do is encourage him. I'm not one of those crazy karate mothers who think their child should move up the ranks fast. As a matter of fact I had a talk with his master when I knew he would be testing for green and questioned whether he was ready. They assured me he was but personally I'd rather him move at a slower pace and be able to take in what he's learning. But that being said he does seem to absorb what he's being taught and still remembers his 4 katas and all the one steps. I know his school will not move you up unless they know you're ready but that doesn't make me feel much better.

It's just hard for me as a mother to see him get in there and spar so I try and spar with him a few times a week to learn about blocking.

In my opinion it is fine for you to train him the fundamentals of sparring. At this paticular age we aren't so much worried about bad habits forming through muscle memory or even in poor technique. His body is shortly going to go through huge changes so he'll deal with that as we go...right now your focus should be on technique control so that he doesn't hurt himself or others, no violence, etc. and if he is dropping his hands then all you need do is tap him on the head. A little tap and little tease can do much more than other teaching methods like push-ups etc.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

glad i could help (hah i beat you this time bushido!)

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D You beat me, THIS time!....

Ok, as for the hands down thing, this is what I do in class sometimes, if kids (or adults!) are dropping their hands too much. Have them grab their ears! Yeah, it looks silly, but the hands are up! And, too keep from looking silly, they will think more about keeping them up. You could also have them hold onto the lapels of their uniform as well, but the hands will still be below their head. I prefer ears.

I use the "glue" metaphor...have him "glue" his front hand to his head, and his back hand to his elbow (or whatever your fighting stance is), and then remind him continually to "keep the glue!"

A slight tap while he's wearing a helmet is okay, but keep it to a minimum - all that seems to teach is fear of getting hit.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

With respect,

Sohan

I agree with you and I'm not to happy about him sparring so young but it's the way the school is run. They need to spar at orange and green but they get tested in sparring at green to move up. He started at 4.

That's all I do is encourage him. I'm not one of those crazy karate mothers who think their child should move up the ranks fast. As a matter of fact I had a talk with his master when I knew he would be testing for green and questioned whether he was ready. They assured me he was but personally I'd rather him move at a slower pace and be able to take in what he's learning. But that being said he does seem to absorb what he's being taught and still remembers his 4 katas and all the one steps. I know his school will not move you up unless they know you're ready but that doesn't make me feel much better.

It's just hard for me as a mother to see him get in there and spar so I try and spar with him a few times a week to learn about blocking.

I noticed your comment about wanting him to take his time, and absorb what he is learning. If you don't want him to test, then don't have him test. Talk to the instructor, and tell him that you maybe want him to stay at the rank a little longer, if you think it will benefit him. There is nothing wrong with waiting until the next testing. Talk to your child about it, too, but ultimately, the decision is yours. My instructor has held his own kids out of testings before, because he felt they needed some more work. Not a big deal.