• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is your rank forever?

nordICE

Hmmm, interesting.

I'm still not sure that I support the idea though, because although they may have acted in a bad manner, they still did once achieve what they did.

If you were to strip someone of their rank though, how would you do it?

Have them at the front of the school, rip the belt off of them, and then tell them to leave and not come back. However, the likelyhood of this opportunity presenting itself is not high, so it would be more verbal then anything.

Again, this is worst-case scenario.

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think even if you have a dan rank in one style and you switch to a new style, you should start over. It will be fun anyways. I disagree with the rank stripping though. If someone has done something they shouldn't have, expell them from your organization, even if it is for a short time and hold off on any future testings for awhile. I mean come on, even O.J. Simpson didn't lose his Hall of Fame and Heisman trophy recognition (he did lose the trophy :D ), he even still has his name on the wall of fame at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I do think even if you have a dan rank in one style and you switch to a new style, you should start over. It will be fun anyways. I disagree with the rank stripping though. If someone has done something they shouldn't have, expell them from your organization, even if it is for a short time and hold off on any future testings for awhile. I mean come on, even O.J. Simpson didn't lose his Hall of Fame and Heisman trophy recognition (he did lose the trophy :D ), he even still has his name on the wall of fame at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

That's how it is in society, though. No one wants to punish the "heros" so they get it easy. It goes this way with people in sports all the time. Look at the incident with the Texas Longhorn players here recently.

That's how it is in society, though. No one wants to punish the "heros" so they get it easy. It goes this way with people in sports all the time. Look at the incident with the Texas Longhorn players here recently.

That is very much true. Major stars in Basketball travel from 1/2 court or more without the ball touching the ground. There are other smaller infractions that do not get called because they are stars. It improves their performance and there output because they get away with such things. It is quite disturbing. Texas Longhorns, Colorado...the list goes on and there is probably a good portion that we know nothing about yet. And for MLB...again, most dissappointing

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I trained to 4th kyu, came back under the same club and have made my way back through the grades from 9th kyu, am one off where I started now.

However this was my choice, partly due to the fact my step dad runs the club I felt I had to show others in the club that there is no favouritism, and out of respect to other 4th kyus in the club that I couldnt just walk back in and expect to be at their level.

Am regretting it now mind, 2 knee injurys later I should have rejoined at my original level. It has helped me get up to speed quickly but ultimately it has been drawn out.

We accept members of other Shukokai clubs at their grade if they can provide evidence of this. Members of other styles are welcome but they do generally start at 9th kyu.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

I trained to 4th kyu, came back under the same club and have made my way back through the grades from 9th kyu, am one off where I started now.

However this was my choice, partly due to the fact my step dad runs the club I felt I had to show others in the club that there is no favouritism, and out of respect to other 4th kyus in the club that I couldnt just walk back in and expect to be at their level.

Am regretting it now mind, 2 knee injurys later I should have rejoined at my original level. It has helped me get up to speed quickly but ultimately it has been drawn out.

We accept members of other Shukokai clubs at their grade if they can provide evidence of this. Members of other styles are welcome but they do generally start at 9th kyu.

What is Shukokai made up of, style wise?

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose anyone with a college degree should lose it after being out of school for years????

The knowledge is always there. The accomplishment can never be taken away.

I started a new style and I had absolutly no problem wearing a whitebelt.

Not 1 person in the class had any doubt as to the level of my skill.

I do not have the knowledge and understanding in my new art to deserve higher rank. True, I may posess greater skills on many things, but the true understanding of the art is not there.

I have to earn it like everyone else. I may move along at a faster pace but I am still the same as everyone else.

I never knew how much fun it was to learn a new art after you've already studied. It's so much less confusing and twice as much fun. :D :D :D

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.