• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is your rank forever?

nordICE

Yeah, but that's fine because you held that rank in that style. A rank is forever in my book, but that just doesn't mean it applies to all MA's.

If you were training in a new style, I would say it's a different story.

Glad to hear you went back.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the many that said it is up to the instructor. We use to use the idea that once a person reached black belt, left and returned they would be allowed to wear the belt but would need to hone their skills to the point where they were fully accepted as the black belt rank that they held.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

In my opinion retaining a black belt consists of equal parts knowlege and technique retention, the ability to perform it, and the attitude and demeanor that comes along with it. I think these things are important for recognizing one as a black belt. These are not the only things, but are very important things.

a lot of great responses here. I've never heard of someone actually "losing" rank for any reason. Of course, after several years without training, you're going to be out of shape. You have a dan ranking, and nobody can take that away. Although, if you're going to a different style, then expect to start out at the bottom and work your way up in the new style. It'll come back quickly and you'll be promoted faster than others based of your previous experience and knowledge.

Good luck

"On Ko Chi Shin"

a lot of great responses here. I've never heard of someone actually "losing" rank for any reason. Of course, after several years without training, you're going to be out of shape. You have a dan ranking, and nobody can take that away. Although, if you're going to a different style, then expect to start out at the bottom and work your way up in the new style. It'll come back quickly and you'll be promoted faster than others based of your previous experience and knowledge.

Good luck

You can have a rank taken away, at least in some arts. It's done as a punishment, and in extreme cases. Usually what happens is more of an expulsion out of that system/organization. Unfortunately, many of these individuals that are expelled often go into a "lesser" organization. I have only known one instructor that has actually had his rank taken away from him. I do know of many individuals that have been "kicked out" and have gone into another organization.

I personally don't agree with this practise. Well, then again, I'm not sure. One chain of though is that it's a recognition of what they have achieved, not what they are. Then of course there's the other chain of though of you should be this or that in order to keep the privellage of wearing that grade.

Okay, now I'm just confused.

I personally don't agree with this practise. Well, then again, I'm not sure. One chain of though is that it's a recognition of what they have achieved, not what they are. Then of course there's the other chain of though of you should be this or that in order to keep the privellage of wearing that grade.

Okay, now I'm just confused.

Think of it this way. Let's say someone in your school did something that totally goes against the morals and ethics of society, and your school. You want your students to be examples, so you don't want this influence. This could be a reason for a cermonious stripping of rank, and expulsion. I would not want to see this happen, but is an example.

though i've never seen the situation arise, I can see your point if someone were to go violate moral standards (ie: murder), then it may be appropriate to "outkast" that individual and strip their rank.

"On Ko Chi Shin"

Hmmm, interesting.

I'm still not sure that I support the idea though, because although they may have acted in a bad manner, they still did once achieve what they did.

If you were to strip someone of their rank though, how would you do it?