• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I Am Frustated With Lack of Info Master Provides for devlope

Lately I have been pretty frustrated with how my master fills me in about my progress or lack there of. I mean He never tells me how he thinks im doing or what im doing right and if he does tell me something its usually something little that im doing wrong its like the teeniest little things he picks on me with.

In my mind I think im doing good but im doubting it becuase my master is not filling me in. My questions are How can i make him be more open. , And Does this happen with you and for all you sensei's out their do you do this to your students?

[ This Message was edited by: Taokara on 2002-04-29 18:32 ]

I am training for myself not anyone else.. to be the best I can be in everything.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are differant methods of coaching.

1. you can praise a kid all the time hoping that positive words breeds good works. This is the best situation for the student but if you are never told you are doing somehting bad you are setting yourself up for a let down.

2. Focus on the slower kids and allow the other to learn. I find myslef doing this a lot becasue there are some kids I know have already picked the move up. SO i work with others more often. Thus I find the only time I really speak to the other guys is to correct a minor flaw.

3. Focus on the good studnets and forget the poor ones. Done more in sports because you got to play you best kids on game day.

4. You can always chew a person out. This makes the student feel bad however once he gets it right he is praised and that makes the work seem worth it.

There are many others methonds but these are a few. Unless he flat out tells you that you suck I would not worry about it. However some people need more support than others. As long as you feel that you are doing your best then don't worry about what others think or say.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

On 2002-04-29 18:26, Taokara wrote:

He never tells me how he thinks im doing or what im doing right and if he does tell me something its usually something little that im doing wrong

What nationality is your teacher?

Where was you teacher born and about how old is he?

Take care :smile:

Chris LaCava

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

[ This Message was edited by: Chris from CT on 2002-04-29 21:52 ]

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

This is the way our Master teaches, and honestly, it's the best way for me. A lot of it ties in with the KSW motto, too: "We Need More Practice".

There are always going to be little things he can correct. And every correction will move you closer to perfecting that kata or technique. The perfection of a simple technique or component of a kata leads to quicker acquisition and honing of a more complex one.

As for not providing positive feedback, the workouts themselves make me feel good. If Kwang Jang Nim is going on and on about how great my katas were, I'm not learning anything, and I'm probably standing still not working out. :smile:

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

Ask him about taking a private class with him to work on the finer points of what you have learned so far. Tell him that you wish to make further progress towards perfecting the movements. He will probably let you know if he thinks you need it or not...

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

Well i have two masters one is 34 and is canadian and the other is 46 and he is also canadian. And why would they want me to take private lessons? Expspecially when i THINK im doing pretty good. I mean i just want a little feedback from them.

I am training for myself not anyone else.. to be the best I can be in everything.

Detailed information is usually given one on one in a private session. The teacher has to deal with a lot of people at different levels in a class so he may not know that you need special attention. You need to make the effort to get that information, either pay for it or stay late... you can't just sit around and whine then say that your master is a big meany!

Do unto others, as they done to you.

Im not saying he's a meanie. Private classes would be great but it also costs more $$ which i dont have. My masters are great guys they really truly are. But they just never give you progress reports on have you compare to other students!

Have you talked to him about it? Like, have you asked him to elaborate on what he is saying? He might if you just ask him to. Or is he the kind of sensei that is always like "DONT QUESTION ME!" and has a major power trip sometimes?