• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Issyn-Ryu- what's it like?

krunchyfrogg

Looks like I may have found a dojo in a new style. What is Isshyn-Ryu like?

TIA

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshin Ryu us kind of different from other styles. Is uses the ideas of both Shorin Ryu and Goju Ryu. It uses higher stances and the vertical punch among other things. Someone once told me it was almost as if it was designed for American bodies. Sometimes I wonder if the American troops who trained under Shimabuku were of some influence to him in developing the style. Although I prefer the corkscrew punch there are applications for the vertical punch that make it most effective. I am not sure what style you came from but you might like Isshin Ryu. Good luck

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Well, the style I came from was a combination of Shorin Ryu, Goju, and Shoto-Kan (although we used horizontal punches).

I'm searching for a new school, and I think this might really be a great fit for me.

-- Jackie Robinson

-- Edmund Burke

The katas are mostly from Goju-Ryu as I recall. I think you'll be fine. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Of Isshin-ryu's 8 empty hand katas, five are of Shorin-ryu origin, two are of Goju-ryu origin and one was created by the founder, Shimabuku.

Although the foundation of Isshin-ryu is derived from Shorin-ryu and Goju-ryu, Shimabuku included many of his own ideas and concepts to create a practical, no nonsense self-defense system.

The following website has some basic information regarding Isshin-ryu Karate:

http://www.oberlin.edu/stuorg/obkarate/isshinryu.html

I hope this helps.

Ted

Low kicks, more natural stances. Vertical punches primarily.

Its a good style to grow old in, as the kicks are practically low. But pretty much Isshinryu is just a good ol' Okinawan style of karate.

Been in it since 89 myself and still love the style. The politics suck, and we have like a dozen 10th degree black belts, but its still a great style.

The one (minor, hopefully) drawback I see to this style is the way a fist is made. I saw a picture online, and it's different from what I'm used to. I tried holding a fist that way a lot today, and I thought it was uncomfortable, but I could be doing it wrong.

-- Jackie Robinson

-- Edmund Burke

The one (minor, hopefully) drawback I see to this style is the way a fist is made. I saw a picture online, and it's different from what I'm used to. I tried holding a fist that way a lot today, and I thought it was uncomfortable, but I could be doing it wrong.

Ah, the vertical fist with capped thumb. It makes the wrist less likely to bend with contact. Black Belt magazine had an article on that very concept a couple of issues ago but strangely enough didn't mention that it's one of the main concepts that makes Isshinryu the style that it is.

... we have like a dozen 10th degree black belts, but its still a great style.

Yes indeed. probably a dozen in this country alone. I think that the problem was Shimabuku never really dictated a successor. Some of the first generation students never really dictated successors either (those that claimed/received 10th degree).

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Low kicks, more natural stances. Vertical punches primarily.

Its a good style to grow old in, as the kicks are practically low. But pretty much Isshinryu is just a good ol' Okinawan style of karate.

when you say "low kicks", you mean we don't kick to the head a lot and go to the body 99% of the time, right?

Been in it since 89 myself and still love the style. The politics suck, and we have like a dozen 10th degree black belts, but its still a great style.

QFT the politics really suck. that being said, i still really love Isshinryu