• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hypothetical weapons tournament, what would you use?

alsey

Katana no question its the best weapon there is in my opinion although the chinese broad sword comes close and also the chinese spear.

I don't know why this is, but for some reason no one thinks that any Western civilizations or cultures developed any useful weapons or fighting forms. It seems that the only sword ever created is the Japanese Samurai sword.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Katana no question its the best weapon there is in my opinion although the chinese broad sword comes close and also the chinese spear.

I don't know why this is, but for some reason no one thinks that any Western civilizations or cultures developed any useful weapons or fighting forms. It seems that the only sword ever created is the Japanese Samurai sword.

Because the west never held on tightly to it's old martial arts and weapons, so there isn't that sense of ancient 'mystique '. Rather they updated their fighting methods to fit the times. Eventually, swords were phased out for guns, grappling into wrestling, bareknuckle fighting into boxing, and swordfighting into fencing...they did have skilled swordsmen, fighters, AND fighting styles, but it seems to me at least that they decided to get rid of the old and mostly stick with the new. European weapons were hardly bad: crossbows, spears, bows, etc were used both in the East and west. Instead of the Bo, they had a quaterstaff, and while the sword design was different, both could be used fairly well for hacking away an opponent. However because the samurai were around for so long, they are the last people who lived literally by the sword, and as such they have an air of romanticism and nobility that we sometimes long for (although chivalry has never been a common in either culture for the most part).

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

well...i've trained most with eyaku (oar) and wakizashi...eyaku has more reach...sword is sharp...hmmm

tough, but i think i would need to know what weapon i was up against...grr...i hate making desisions

okay i have it...bladed eyaku, hehe. I win.

"good enough is the enemy of excellence"

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa

Because the west never held on tightly to it's old martial arts and weapons, so there isn't that sense of ancient 'mystique '. Rather they updated their fighting methods to fit the times. Eventually, swords were phased out for guns, grappling into wrestling, bareknuckle fighting into boxing, and swordfighting into fencing...they did have skilled swordsmen, fighters, AND fighting styles, but it seems to me at least that they decided to get rid of the old and mostly stick with the new. European weapons were hardly bad: crossbows, spears, bows, etc were used both in the East and west. Instead of the Bo, they had a quaterstaff, and while the sword design was different, both could be used fairly well for hacking away an opponent. However because the samurai were around for so long, they are the last people who lived literally by the sword, and as such they have an air of romanticism and nobility that we sometimes long for (although chivalry has never been a common in either culture for the most part).

This is true, however, there are a lot of people out there reconstructing the old systems, and there are some very good medieval stylists out there. There are also some very good websites.

The other thing that gets me is that many people who 'practice' Eastern weapon styles do forms, but no weapon on weapon practice. The exception seems to be kendo, but I can't think of any others, aside from the Fillipino styles.

This is true, however, there are a lot of people out there reconstructing the old systems, and there are some very good medieval stylists out there. There are also some very good websites.

The other thing that gets me is that many people who 'practice' Eastern weapon styles do forms, but no weapon on weapon practice. The exception seems to be kendo, but I can't think of any others, aside from the Fillipino styles.

True, alot of weapons are just used in forms and not trained with for fighting purposes

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

True, alot of weapons are just used in forms and not trained with for fighting purposes

Jodo and iaido do weapon on weapon practice

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread reminds me of Soul Calibur...Just a thought.. :) ..I wish there is a real weapons tournament, where nobody dies...I don't know how...blunted blades maybe with colors/dyes to determine a hit...That would be interesting.. :) :karate: :lol:

The stronger swordsman does not always win.

• 5 weeks later...

Try this at your club for added fun.

Equipment needed, boxing gloves, kali sticks

This is based upon the idea of your opponent has a live blade in his hand , and he thinks the same way back.

Put yr gloves on and hold your stick. The other hand is free to hit at close range. The idea is to hit your training partners hand to make him release the weapon. Once u have done this move in for the finish.

This is a adrenalin pumping novel way of sparring that makes you move and believe me you move LOL, enjoy

Wing chun helps you find the path to ones inner strength. I am getting stronger

'''First in First served''....''Mike Walsh''' 6'th Dan.R.I.P sensie

http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/runcornwingchun/index.phtml

ill be the first to say Nunchaku :D i am far more skilled with them than any other weapon. after that i would say Bo-Staff

When practicing Nunchaku, it is best not to stand under lights....seriously; I have broken more lights that way. :-P