• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hypothetical weapons tournament, what would you use?

alsey

don't think a katana would cut another sword. the katana's blade would probably blunt or even notch if anything; katana aren't meant for cutting metal.

in kendo, the people who use two swords usually get beaten by people using one sword. of course this is one long sword and one short one, which isn't the same as two dao, but you have to be very skilled to use two swords effectively.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

though I'm a Japanese art practitioner, I'm working on integrating Deer Horn Knives (sharpened, not like in the link below) as I feel they are some of the most versatile weapons out there today...

http://www.martialartssupermarket.com/index.cfm?action=moreinfo&itemid=4059

~Shaun E. Seifer

Founder - Tenchi Bujutsu

Godan - Shaolin Kempo/Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu & Kempo Jutsu-Kai

http://www.idmaa.com

don't think a katana would cut another sword. the katana's blade would probably blunt or even notch if anything; katana aren't meant for cutting metal.

Really?! I've been mislead about the power of a katana, then. Well, that's good...

in kendo, the people who use two swords usually get beaten by people using one sword. of course this is one long sword and one short one, which isn't the same as two dao, but you have to be very skilled to use two swords effectively.

The problem with using two weapons is that one gets complacent, or thinks that they have twice the advantage, when in reality, it takes much more concentration to use both. When effectively used - which I like to believe I can use them to some effectiveness, two can be better.

One issue I tend to see in myself is that it is very easy to use one sword more than the other, just like in sparring with hands. In addition, the swords will sometimes get in one another's way. Thus, I go at my dao-work like I do my hand-work in sparring, with the same mentality and simliar technique. This tends to keep me using both efficiently and effectively.

Edited by parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Chinese broadswords.

http://www.armory.net/item.cfm/RecordId/SH-1011.htm

This, but one in each hand. Takes lots of coordination, but they're really effective.

I got to try one of the hanwei daos an a sword shop a while ago. Those are really high quality swords. Wish I had the free cash to pick one up.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

i would use a cane sword and shield so that you could trip your opponent with the cane part, unsheath it (sp?) then kill the person :D . but of course i wouldnt kill some one for no good reason.

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido

I got to try one of the hanwei daos an a sword shop a while ago. Those are really high quality swords. Wish I had the free cash to pick one up.

Yeah, me, too (in terms of cash).

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Sai - for no other reason because I am more familar with them than any other weapon -- of course traditionally we carry 3 :D

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

the spear thats the only weapon i feel really proficient in ooo no the shinobigatana lots of hidden places for weapons and the hadle usally have a hidden blade and sometimes the blade is a saw :D

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"