• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how does everyone feel about makiwara training?

Radok

Generally, I use this method when looking at makiwara. "everythings good in moderation".

What I mean is this. I use, or have used, both a canvas makiwara hanging on a wall or a post and also a 2x4 wrapped in twine. Both are good and can definitely improve your punching, increase power and get you used to hitting something hard.

However, I personally teach my students that over use of the makiwara to the point your knuckles get overly large is not a good thing. I don't recommend anyone under age 18 do it though, as the bones are still growing. Continued practice as you get older will possibly cause arthritis or other permanent damage in your knuckles. It's not worth it.

As a general rule of think, we strike the makiwara solidly, but if your knucks start to bleed, or the skin starts to tear between the knuckles and gets sore...STOP! Let it heal fully (100%), then do it again. I've done this for nearly 30 years and my hands are fine and I can hit a solid wood wall nearly full force without damaging my hands. There is no loss of flexability in my joints (I'm 51 years old), no stiffness and no pain. I have every confidence that if I had to hit a person solidly on the chin, that my knuckles would hold up just fine, and that down the road, I will have no problems with my knuckle joints.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Makiwara training is dangerous road for me. If I were to break a bone in my hand or otherwise impair my ability to type then I wouldn't be able to perform my job.

Makiwara training is dangerous road for me. If I were to break a bone in my hand or otherwise impair my ability to type then I wouldn't be able to perform my job.

That's right smr..how could we type on this forum with screwed up hands? :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Another argument for proper education in Dit Da Jow. (I'm signing up first)

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."