• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how does everyone feel about makiwara training?

Radok

tell me.

Okinawan Shorin-ryu=hardest style in the world!!

[ This Message was edited by: Radok on 2002-04-29 13:04 ]

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Someplace running around here are a few threads on makiwara, complete with links to how to make or buy one.

Personally I do much of what others have traditionally done on a makiwara on my wavemaster. I find the way it moves across the floor an indication of how much power is being used. And the way the way that it bounces back is different than that of a hanging punching bag.

The link to Makawari work is

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=2052&forum=13&23

KarateForums Sempai

Shotokan Karate, bo, sai

Karate means a better life

[ This Message was edited by: SaiFightsMS on 2002-04-29 18:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SaiFightsMS on 2002-04-29 18:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SaiFightsMS on 2002-04-29 18:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SaiFightsMS on 2002-04-29 18:09 ]

I have two makwara on my wall - a padded wooden clapper with spring and a canvas bag, currently filled with rice.

I find the clapper a bit too "weak", in that I can hit it full on drive it fully back without 110% effort, at which point it becomes too hard and hurts my fist. I could pound it longer with an open palm though...

Nice idea, but I'd like it scaled up a bit, with much more flex back, but stronger springs, so I can hit it harder. (would've been great when I was about, 10?)

I have to wrap my hands to hit this one...

The bag is probably better, cause my fist can sink into it a fair bit, but it gives a good indication of how hard the blow was.

I reckon a floor mounted makiwara would be better, a "soft" one with plenty of give, so you could knock it back far with a hard strike.

Really, the makiwara is just an early form of the "wavemaster"... but I can't get one of those over here.

I'd really like a heavy bag, but in an apartment, not too sure where I can hang it... and a self standing frame is 4x the price of the bag itself!

I'd suggest avoiding those flat wall mount bits of wood with big foam pads on them you see everywhere - too soft to work as some "knuckle conditioner" but too rigid to really let you hit it hard.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

You can buy one at http://www.centuryfitness.com and choose boxing. After you get to the heavy bags, choose freestanding. :nod:

Okinawan Shorin-ryu=hardest style in the world!!

[ This Message was edited by: Radok on 2002-04-30 12:24 ]

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

You get there buy clicking "training gear" after you have selected boxing. One of the subtitles at "training gear" is heavy bags. click freestanding and look at the selection. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...
Personally not keen as I don't want to end up with big lumpy knuckles. However an excellent training device for those who don't mind that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My karma will run over your dogma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• 1 year later...

I think they're a good training aid.

My sensei and I made one for my back garden and one for the dojo for about £5 each. Bargain!! :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!