• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bag Gloves?

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if there is any reason behind the concept of bag gloves?

I mean i know youd put em on to hit a heavy bag, but wouldn't it be better to hit it bear knuckle? Because that way you would be practicing with more resistance, e.g. the padding wont be there to support and cushion your every punch.

Are bag gloves just for boxers who want to practice punching with gloves on? Cause even then my reason above makes them unneeded. The reason i am wondering this is because im buying a heavy bag and wondering if there is a good reason to get bag gloves with it. (I imagine there is a reason, but i just havent thought of it) If anyone knows what bag gloves are for please do tell.

My style was made by Chuck Norris, it's called:

Chuck-will-make-you-cluck-do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the main reason for bag gloves is to prevent the knuckles from being torn up on the canvas from repetitive striking. Otherwise, I am not sure.

When you throw 100' & 1000's of punches making contact (even on a bag) in training, you need to protect your hands. Yes, bags are softer & not a "real" situation, but it is vital that the hands are protected.

I've trained in both traditional MA & boxing for more than 20 years. I wouldn't dream of doing rounds on the bag w/out handwraps & good bag gloves. Maybe as a young man, I'd wonder why. As an old man whose hands are still in good shape, I don't wonder.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I was told that they're needed for canvas bags, and looking at them you can see why. But I don't use them for a nylon bag. I've simply built up my hands to be able to hit the bags many times without the gloves. Now granted I don't do 1000's of punches at a time, but 100's at a time isn't exactly a "light" workout.

I was told that they're needed for canvas bags, and looking at them you can see why. But I don't use them for a nylon bag. I've simply built up my hands to be able to hit the bags many times without the gloves. Now granted I don't do 1000's of punches at a time, but 100's at a time isn't exactly a "light" workout.

In my experience I've hit the bag w/ & w/out gloves. I'd never go back to doing it w/out gloves again. I've damaged my hands & wrists by not using them. Like I said, I've been doing it a long time & I want to continue to do it longer: so I choose to protect my hands.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Well i guess i see your point iceman. In the long run youd just end up doing alot of damage to your hands. but on the other hand, any bare knuckle punch would hurt your hand alot right then and there. So i guess IMO it be a good idea not to have extremly "soft" knuckles.

So maybe it would be a good idea to do a few bare knuckle punching sessions and a few with the gloves. How do you think thatd work out?

My style was made by Chuck Norris, it's called:

Chuck-will-make-you-cluck-do

Well i guess i see your point iceman. In the long run youd just end up doing alot of damage to your hands. but on the other hand, any bare knuckle punch would hurt your hand alot right then and there. So i guess IMO it be a good idea not to have extremly "soft" knuckles.

So maybe it would be a good idea to do a few bare knuckle punching sessions and a few with the gloves. How do you think thatd work out?

Knuckle push ups take care of the "soft knuckle" issue. :D But seriously, I would error on the side of protecting my hands. My students do hit muay thai pads bare knuckle, but not for round after round. Being a TKD instructor, I focus on hands being for blocking. Feet, knees, elbows & knife hands are for striking when in need :D

I'm not sure that I agree with the phylosphy that hands are only for blocking, but I see what you're getting at.

Definately though... protect the hands, there is not need to mash them up.

And despite popular opinion, there is only one way to stop the knuckles bleeding, that is to toughen the skin, which mean callouses... Callouses can limit movement, but more importantly, are just plain ugly.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I'm not sure that I agree with the phylosphy that hands are only for blocking, but I see what you're getting at.

Definately though... protect the hands, there is not need to mash them up.

And despite popular opinion, there is only one way to stop the knuckles bleeding, that is to toughen the skin, which mean callouses... Callouses can limit movement, but more importantly, are just plain ugly.

I was overstating it a bit I guess to point out that TKD folks aren't just kickers. Of course we punch, too. But I've learned to be very protective of my hands. Heck, I know boxers who have hand problems & they wrap em & use gloves everytime!

Jiffy, I see your point as well. Callouses are needed to a point. Mine are gone from my early days. They grew back when I wrapped my hands& put em in gloves....they still bled a while until the callous formed again.