• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey guys, i'm really stuck, i've been having some major issues wiith my side kicks lately and its becoming increasingly frustrating. I know the more i get frusturated the worse I do but at the same point i can't seem to fix the issue. any good exercises to help get me to get both proper form and power behind my side kicks?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lots and lots of reps. Make sure you get a good tight chamber position with your leg, and explode into the kick. Chamber first, then good kick, and re-chamber.

You can strengthen the leg by doing straight legged raises while leaning on the wall. Make sure to stretch real good, too.

Yeah what he said ^^

Never really seen much use for a side kick in MT though. Might better serve you to concentrate on round kicks and leg checks.

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!

eh, a side kick can work it just takes much more skill to use vs. a muay thai dtae. Heck, we even have types of tiips in muay thai where you turn it over so it's almost like a side kick for the final product.

If I am struggling with proper form and power on a side kick then I go back to basics.

If it is supposed to be mid level side kick then I start back down at the shin and make sure that the angle of my foot is correct and the power can 'explode' out as mentioned by other people.

I then build it back up to the correct height.

I am not quite sure what your issue is though and whether that would help or not.

:karate:

If I am struggling with proper form and power on a side kick then I go back to basics.

If it is supposed to be mid level side kick then I start back down at the shin and make sure that the angle of my foot is correct and the power can 'explode' out as mentioned by other people.

I then build it back up to the correct height.

I am not quite sure what your issue is though and whether that would help or not.

:karate:

That's good advice, Bluetulipx. Too often, people will sacrifice technique to achieve height, and in the end, hurts their technique, and can cause injuries.

• 3 weeks later...

with the side kick, you need to pivot the grounded foot so its pointing opposite to the direction of the kick, and really thrust the hips in to it as well. this should be done just before impact.

Now you use head for something other than target.

Yeah what he said ^^

Never really seen much use for a side kick in MT though. Might better serve you to concentrate on round kicks and leg checks.

the side kick when used defensively serves the same purpose as a lead leg tiip. I use it all the time. The problem with it is that it's slower than the tiip., because you chamber it. On the positive side, it's harder to block than the tiip and not all thai fighters are used to dealing with it.

eh, a side kick can work it just takes much more skill to use vs. a muay thai dtae. Heck, we even have types of tiips in muay thai where you turn it over so it's almost like a side kick for the final product.

yup.

Man, I would love to try Muay Thai, but there is nowhere around here. Maybe if we move some day...but then I will be an old Muay Thai guy, so probably won't be fighting much.