• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mystery Style/Technique

ElSupaFred

Hi everyone. Ive recently decided to finnaly go ahead and try karate but I havent been sure on which style/technique to choose. Now my best buddy jordan, his dad used to be in the military and knows several types of fighting and has taught a few tidbits to jordan. When Jordan and me wrestle or fight (boys will be boys) Jordan will always get in a very loose stance where he seems to be jumping or rocking loosely on the tips of his feet. His arms are held lightly infront of him and when he does attack he uses both fists and punches very fast and repeatedly up to 10 times in a few seconds then continues to go into his "loose" stance rocking back and forth. Also almost always he never actually blocks, instead when his opponent goes to attack he just attacks them in whichever spot they have left unguarded. Now obviously he usually wins. Im the kind of person that when he and I fight I can take alot of pain and deal with blows and punches quite easily but im slow and clumsy when it comes to reaction. Jordans very quick,light,and precise but when you do land a hit on him he doesnt take the hit well and is more a less a wimp with dealing with the pain. Now my question is what style of fighting is he using or which style is closest to his own. Also which style should i learn that would be best in fighting against him where there is essentially no rules. Im not doing this just an attempt to beat jordan but i figure why not hit 2 birds with one stone. He is very cocky and thinks that no one could possibly beat him, its about time someone put him in his place.

(sorry for it being so long and lack of paragraphing, i only realized afterwards that i had been negligent in making paragraphs but considering its 5:24 in the morning and im half asleep I think it will be okay if i dont do it this once)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It might be a mixture of techniques his father has learned during his lifetime, or professional training. However if your friend is very good at holding, grappling, locks & chokes it could be a style like Jiu-Jitsu.

Any striking art is going to help you with speed of hitting, but it really depends on what you want to get from your training. If you want a striking art then go for one like Karate, Tae Kwon Do, etc. If you want more ground work go for Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, etc. but don't do it because you want to take your friend down a peg, do it for yourself.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

He may just have some boxing training or something like that. Could be his dad told him that if you hit first, fast, and lots, that you can have a high chance of winning. Ask him and see.