• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A few Questions about BJJ and my body type

I have just finished reading the opening of the book Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Technique and Theory. In the short part that I have read, there are details on Royler Gracie, who was almost always smaller than his opponents, and is one of the most respected fighters in the world.

quote]

I think maybe you mean Royce, not Royler. Anyway, yea- look at Royce's track record. He beat the roid-raging Kimo, and Dan Severn, and Ken Shamrock.

The book is written by Royler, Renzo, Kid Peligro, and John Danaher. It is in the intro written about Royler.

Really? Well, I haven't come across that yet. But you have to admit, the description sounds a lot like Royce in his original UFC days. I can't keep track of all these Gracies anyway! Except Rickson.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Royce wasn't and isn't the best Gracie. Rorion had Royce fight in the UFC to help promote Gracie jiu jitsu so the world could see an "average looking guy" win to show the world how effective the art is. I'm not saying Royce is the worst, but he's definitely not the best Gracie.

Royler probably has the most heart out of any of the Gracies..he wasn't one to back down from somebody and has fought many people. Sure, he's lost against some people but you will lose if you compete enough.

Don't get me wrong, Rickson was great when he fought and rumours are that he's coming back but even Helio has said that Rickson has exagerrated his fight record. Do I have any less respect for Rickson? No, he would own me on the ground and anyone on this forum.

Roger is the next Gracie to watch out for

If you don't know who he is you better ask somebody....