• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need Advice on Side Kick

I have been training for about 5 yrs and am about 9 months away from black, and my side kick stinks. Eight months ago I had back surgery, fusion all that good stuff so I've been back since April, and I have trouble with my chamber, it seems to hurt in my periformis area and there is no power. I'm not sure it is a function of my lower back because the kick really wasn't that great before, :brow: it is frustrating because I feel confident about the power and height in all of my other kicks, can still kick above my head on all of them, and with power, but the side kick is barely waist high. Any suggestions on training or anyone who has had a similar challenge? :karate:

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You may need to strengthen the muscles that hold the side kick up. Put your hand on the wall, and point your base foot at the wall. Then, hold your straight leg out at waist level (or as high as you can), and do leg lifts, up and then down, slow and controlled. Then do side kicks from that wall position, without setting the leg down. Make sure your hip turns over, and line up your heel, knee, hip, and shoulder.

You may also need to admit that after back surgery you may just not be able to do some of the things you could before. The hips and the spine are two of the main axes on the body and problems with either of them can reduce funtionality.

Long Live the Fighters!

tufrthanu makes a good point. If the problems you are experiencing are a direct result of the surgery, then you should look into some physical therapy for your back. You could also ask the therapist if they have some exercises you could do that would help improve the side kick motion along with it.

My guess is that you will have to seperate the two, however. Heal first, completely, then resume training. Try not to jump back in too soon, or you may re-injure yourself, and be right back on the table.

I agree. Don't just go right back in. I did that at one point after my black belt test and reinjured my knee rather badly. I've still had to stay away from heavy training since then, and that was quite a while back.

Cho Dan Hapkidoist and trickster.

If you're deciding to grade make sure you have your physician write up something re the leg/back. That way they will take that into consideration during the examination.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Everyone, I appreciate your time and imput regarding my question. All of you had very good insight. I have began doing some dynamic stretching slowly with the side kick, and have begun to see some changes. I don't however accept that by body is no longer able to do certain things, I just have to learn a new way. Thanks so much for your help :P

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

It can get creepy at times but the power of the mind is very influential in times like this. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu