• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate = Life

Scully

Absolutely. Karate has always been so much more than just fighting for me. My experiences in my training effect many aspects of my life and vice versa. There is no separation.

Sam here. I have a lot of pity for those people who ignore all of those other lessons, because they miss out on so much.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WORK = KUMITE

When you spar or do kata - the death of you is going in to tense or have too much emotion. If you are relaxed and calm - it's easier to see attacks, plan a strategy, and respond with speed and efficiency. Because of Karate, I now handle my job the same way. Bombs, deadlines, and fire can be falling from the sky. When this happens, like I do before kumite, I take a quick breath - assume my mental "kamae" and face issues head on - with confidence and without stress. Karate has taught me that (thanks Gichin!).

Constantly. Our chief instructor is my father. Growing up, everytime he had a story or something to tell me, he would say "relate it to your karate".

That's why it's disapointing to me that most people (including myself) commonly refer to it as Karate, not Karate-Do. The Do is what makes it part of life (way)

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

My Instructor used to always say "You're shot but you're not dead." when we were tired and wanting to quit. This seems to have stuck with me a little. I at least think of it every once in a while.

I've heard of similar phrases, like "If your heart still beats so do you."

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I think that what happens in Karate can equate to life (and vice versa...) Before I started Karate, i was just like anyone else, when i got into fights I would just swing punches and hoped that they hit the target...

But now, after 10 yrs of Karate, I s'pose you could say I am more "on my feet" with situtations... I can say that my reflexes have improved 10-fold! And I'm more quicker on my feet as well as my pucnhes etc hitting their targets with the required power...

But the thing is that I have learned is learning when to stick a fight, or to just move on. Karate is that "thing" (like your conscience) that tells you if you are making a bold/right decision...

Without Karate today, I would be dull; it is that thing that when I wake up in the morning, I always know that something is going to happen, and that the next day will bring something unexpected...

Is that just me?

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

It depends who you ask. If you ask someone who does not live Martial Arts (as opposed to do marital arts, or not at all), then I think they would say, yes, it's just you. Speaking from personal experience though, I have felt the same way. Martial Arts have given me a life I normally would not have had. I'm very greatful for that.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

What's great is after you have taught for years, and you remember teaching someone something, and then when they get it, you kind of see them light up a little. What's better than that is when you see them teaching what you taught them to someone else, and then you see that person's face light up. That's a great feeling.