• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yoko keage geri

Yasutsune Makoto

Ok, Ok wait a second. Let me see if I get what you guys are saying. Are u saying that if you are doing a yoko geri kekomi to your right, from kiba dachi, you rotate the supporting foot anyway? It seems to me that THAT would put a lot of strain on the knee...besides leaving you in a very vulnerable position and out of balance.

Or, do you guys mean kicking to your front, from (for example) a zenkutsu dachi? In that case, a rotation of the supporting foot is the way to go.

can you pelase clarify for me?

thanks,

Gero

----

Nidan, Traditional Shotokan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

drop your weight forward then use your hips

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

If you are in Kiba Dachi, and you kick to your right (Kekomi, not keage), you would rotate the foot, by spinning on the ball of the foot so that your toes point to the left. That way, as your body moves to your right, the knee is in a natural position to bend and doesn't take the impact on the side of the knee. If you do not do this (your left foot is pointing forward and your kick is going to the right) then the force you apply by your momentum moving to your right is applied to the side of the knee, which is not the natural movement of the knee.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Ok, got it, so we are actually talking about two really diferent ways to do the kick. Interesting interpretation of body dynamics. I can see it working, too, although I would feel vulnerable and out of balance at the end point. I'll practice it like that a little and let you know...

I'm no kinesiologist, but I have to disagree that the JKA kekomi without foot rotation is bad for the knees...I have done it hundreds, maybe thousands of times and have no problem with the knees. Same goes for scores of people I have practiced with.

Do you guys chamber the yoko geri kekomi kick straightup (like before a mae geri) or to the side (like a yoko geri keage)? In our group (JKA-ITKF style) we do the former.

thanks for oyur replies!

Gero

---

Depends....

Traditionally, we do it the same way. If however we wish to disguise the kick, then we may bring it up to the front so that the opponent has no idea if it's Mae Geri, Yoko Geri, Mawashi Geri (done with the same modification), Udi Mawashi Geri or Kin Geri.

(to clarify, we train predominantly like the JKA... my instructor was taught by Enoeda and my father has trained directly under Kanazawa).

Edited by Jiffy

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

When I kick, I pivot the base foot on just about every kick I do, even the front kick. My knees hurt as it is, and I don't need to stress them anymore than they already are.

Jiffy,

Thanks for your reply. Yep, we do it the same way (traditionally) and use similar deception techniques at advanced ranks. I also somtimes like to show a yoko geri keage coming and actually turn my back and deliver a strong ushiro geri. It's the nicest feeling when it works and the opponent gets tagged with no idea of what was coming! Of course, being on the recevieng end of the deception is not as fun!

Our schools must train pretty similarly. My instructor trained under O'Sensei Nakayama and O'Sensei Nishiyama.

best,

Gero

---

Who's your instructor - I wonder if I know him? I trained with Nishiyama for 17 years.

- Killer -

Jiffy,

Our schools must train pretty similarly. My instructor trained under O'Sensei Nakayama and O'Sensei Nishiyama.

best,

Gero

---

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Rotate the knee on the front kick?!? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

I pivot my base leg on the front kick. It only pivots about 45 degrees; not very far, but it gives me a better kick. My instructor doesn't pivot on the front kick, but he has had several knee scopes, so I like my way.