• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yoko keage geri

Yasutsune Makoto

I absolutely disagree that any technique cannot be used in a self defense situation.

It all goes back to the competency of the individual.

If you have spent years in arduous training and have developed sufficient power and speed, there isn't anything you cannot use.

You have to develop all of the techniques, each and everyone of them to be a dangerous weapon.

Think of your arms and legs as swords Azato said and he is 100% right.

If you think you can't use something its because you haven't trained enough on that technique. Plain and simple.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kick can be devastating. Forget groin, forget ribs.. take it right down to the ankle. We practice this with thick pads in front of the ankle and it's still *nasty*. You can also come up a bit higher to the knee, or inner thigh. So although the kick may come up to chin height when there is a partner in the way it's going through the lower leg.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

You are correct. The supporting leg is always bent. This allows your weight of your body to be centered and distributed over the center of the foot for stability.

- Killer -

Kanazawa Sensei has a video out that illustrates the kick very well. I agree the snapping action muct be quick and very sharp and it is not completely to the side its a little off. It can generate quite a bit of power but not anywhere near Yoko Geri Kekomi.

Doesn't the supporting leg have to bent slightly to get that 'bounce' feeling when your snapping out the kicking leg?

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Thanks for all your help, I understand the technique now and am starting to get it down.

To everyone:

Try the kick AnonymousOne described, to me it feels way better than the traditional yoko keage geri.

To AnonymousOne:

You said that you felt side thrust kick was too slow, I beg to differ. By developing the kick so you can throw it without a huge chamber and having to reposition your body, such as throwing it with the back leg in zenkutsudachi, you can get the same speed as a front kick or a roundhouse kick out of it.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

Kanazawa Sensei has a video out that illustrates the kick very well. I agree the snapping action muct be quick and very sharp and it is not completely to the side its a little off. It can generate quite a bit of power but not anywhere near Yoko Geri Kekomi.

Doesn't the supporting leg have to bent slightly to get that 'bounce' feeling when your snapping out the kicking leg?

From my experience yes that is much easier to apply it and won't put unneeded stress on the base leg knee.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Thanks for all your help, I understand the technique now and am starting to get it down.

To everyone:

Try the kick AnonymousOne described, to me it feels way better than the traditional yoko keage geri.

To AnonymousOne:

You said that you felt side thrust kick was too slow, I beg to differ. By developing the kick so you can throw it without a huge chamber and having to reposition your body, such as throwing it with the back leg in zenkutsudachi, you can get the same speed as a front kick or a roundhouse kick out of it.

Please understand the context of what I meant.

Compared to the side snap kick, the side thrust kick is slower.

Speed is determined by the commitment and training of the student, that is a different issue altogther

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

One thing I saw lacking from the description of doing this kick properly is pivoting on your base leg. When doing a side snap kick, you should pivot on the ball of your foot and turn your heel towards the direction of the kick as you kick. This will help you penetrate through your opponent and save on the knees. As many have already said, it isn't necessarily power, but the technique and speed of the kick and speed of the retraction of the kick that will make this an effective technique.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

After viewing some videos of this kick, I realize that it is a kick that I don't do. It is very interesting. I noticed that it was not done with the base foot pivoted, but that may have been that style. This kick looks to me like it could hurt the knee, but I could be wrong. I could see slapping that kick up under someone's chin...ouch!

After viewing some videos of this kick, I realize that it is a kick that I don't do. It is very interesting. I noticed that it was not done with the base foot pivoted, but that may have been that style. This kick looks to me like it could hurt the knee, but I could be wrong. I could see slapping that kick up under someone's chin...ouch!

The chin and almost worse if not worse in the armpit that hurts bad.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do