• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Circle within a circle

RichardHangHong

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

not sure what you mean. i've probably come across it under another name or something. what is it exactly?

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

It's more of a Goju concept than Shotokan. An example of it would be in gedan barai, as you move your arm in a circular motion, your hand/wrist also rotates within that circle to generate more power. Also, with uchi uke as your arm travels horizontally in a circular motion outwards away and then inwards toward you, your hand then rotates on a difference angle. Hence, the circle within in a circle.

To add to this, in shotokan, uke waza especially tend to have a more linear direct angle with the twist just at the end. E.g. uchi uke travels straight across the body and then the wrist rotates at the end. It is performed more as a striking block than as a hooking block. Just compare the blocks in any shotokan kata to those in a goju kata and you will see.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

My style does a lot of linear movement, but when we do joint manipulations and self-defense techniques, we get more circular things going on.

I feel that the cirucular maneovers help to get around the rigid, strong people who try to resist when you are linear vs. linear.

Now I understand what you mean Richard!! Yes we use this slightly in terms of blocks and strikes, for example like you said uchi uke, or kiketi. I do find thought that the kids in our class tend to get confused - its hard enough for some of them to work out where their arms should be, let alone manipulating the wrist etc also!

Karate Ni Sentinashi

This does occur in Shotokan - or at least we do it where I train. I think it's just that for some pf the sports clubs it's not really necessary as they just use the moves as big blocks, so they have lost the subtleties.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

We train this as well, we call ni fuseji - which I think means two circles. It isn't something we talk about every class but it is a concept we pass on.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

we do that, though it was never really emphasised much. it was just something that i picked up from watching my sensei, i don't remember him actually teaching it to the class.

i couldn't really do any of the movements without it, its pretty integral IMO and improves kime. also depending on how you apply the movement the rotation of the wrist is often involved in a joint lock.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana