Jab vs. Backfist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A backfist is a strike with the back of the fist using the two biggest knuckles, those of the forefinger and middle finger. It is typically executed with the leading (jab) hand and snapped quickly like a whip against targets such as the temple or nose. It can surprise your opponent and when struck correctly in the right spot, it hurts. (Them, not you.)

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Thus the beauty of KarateForums.com :)

• 4 weeks later...

As a practitioner of WC i find the glide between back fist and jab not too dissimilar as we tend to move from one technique into another. Jab is a control point which sets you up and keeps your opponent at bay and lets you set up your big guns.

When i use back fist i use it from a rasping WC hook and circle back with same hand into back fist, this then sets the opposite hand up for rasping hook followed by the circling back fist.

I feel ok to use either. Just practice, practice, practice

Wing chun helps you find the path to ones inner strength. I am getting stronger

'''First in First served''....''Mike Walsh''' 6'th Dan.R.I.P sensie

http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/runcornwingchun/index.phtml

I used a backfist the other night in Muay Thai and was questioned. Although MT uses the spinning backfist as its own technique, my use of it as a straight technique in the middle of sparring close-in, without the spin, was a bit frowned upon. To me, it is equally valid as any other technique regardless of style. If the target is open and I can hit it with the back of my fist - stand by for impact. "We don't do that in ___ art" is a ridiculous answer.

I used a backfist the other night in Muay Thai and was questioned. Although MT uses the spinning backfist as its own technique, my use of it as a straight technique in the middle of sparring close-in, without the spin, was a bit frowned upon. To me, it is equally valid as any other technique regardless of style. If the target is open and I can hit it with the back of my fist - stand by for impact. "We don't do that in ___ art" is a ridiculous answer.

In part i agree with you. But at the same time you have to look at the situation and realise that there are techniques that just arnt used in some styles. E.g. Try doing a hip toss while sparring in muay thai and see the reaction. That doesnt mean the hip toss isnt a valid technique, just that it isnt common in that style or doesnt align itself with the principles or concepts of the system.

This in a way is limiting, but can be quiet benificial if you take an analytical approach to training. Doing a couple of different systems that place emphasis on certain aspects of combat or self defence and then adapting and practicing what you have learned to fit your wider goals is important if you want applicable techniques.

In saying that, the situation is ridiculous. But thats life and martial arts i suppose. :D