Jab vs. Backfist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, I've only ever used the backfist in Points sparring and the jab mainly in Continuous

Willing - Believing - Achieving

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I love the jab! If you land it nicely on the nose, it softens up your opponent for a nice cross! :karate:

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Open handed backfist if i can still call it that is very fast i love that move it lacks power but can gain you time to follow up

I had an instructor that taught this technique as part of a PPCT course. It was aimed at the side of the neck, and used to cause temporary blackout. I had to be the guinea pig once, and I almost went completely out.

• 2 weeks later...
Open handed backfist if i can still call it that is very fast i love that move it lacks power but can gain you time to follow up

I had an instructor that taught this technique as part of a PPCT course. It was aimed at the side of the neck, and used to cause temporary blackout. I had to be the guinea pig once, and I almost went completely out.

Interesting. In some Okinawan Karate schools at least, a relatively light back fist attack to pressure points is considered more lethal than a thrust punch aimed at the same points.

The truth hurts.

I prefer the jab as a premeditated punch, and the backfist when the opportunity presents itself. For instance, if I am fighting straight-on the jab works best. If I am turned away from my opponent somewhat (so that the side or back of my lead shoulder faces him more than it did), or if my jab goes past his head, then I like to come back with the backfist.

I normally fight left-handed, so if I am turned slightly to the left or covered up after blocking a punch with my right arm or leg, or if I miss with the right jab to the left side of his head, then a right backfist works well.

Not sure if YOU can picture it, but I know what I mean. :karate:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.