• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jab vs. Backfist

i like the back fist.

i find it to be more versatile as it can be used for either power (if you follow it thru) or a snap. it also makes for a good counter if you deflect the persons attack opening up the back/side of their body

you can do all of those things with a jab...

how do you follow thru a jab?

a backfist can be used as both a quick snap, or a driving power technique, a jab, by definition is just a jab. (duh)

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=SUNA,SUNA:2006-10,SUNA:en&q=define%3A+jab

the jab has follow through when you put your hip behind it. several boxers have a stiff jab. As I said before, I won my first fight dropping a guy with a jab. when I teach, I teach a jab and a power jab. the power jab it just putting the hips into it, unlike the standard probing / defensive jab.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see, a power jab sounds like a oxymoron. by definition a jab is a quick in and out punch.

Now you use head for something other than target.

I kind of agree with elbows_and_knees here. You can do a back fist two ways, flick it or follow through. The jab could be done this way also. Just because it is usually used as a setup, doesn't mean it can't be used to finish, either.

good old jab i agree there is the jab and power jab i feel that ppl reduce the jab to just a punch that gives an opening (i was in that trap too) but my current teacher showed (and hit me with) the 2 jabs lets say the second one had me horizontal in the air the back fist we dont have in my current art (at least i dont think so ill have to ask) but i like it and still practice it cause if you are off line or can get it in it can do serious damage

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

see, a power jab sounds like a oxymoron. by definition a jab is a quick in and out punch.

and by definition, a backfist is a snapping strike. I've never been at a school that taught a follow through backfist unless it was a spinning backfist. One style I trained - chun kuk do - taught a backfist - snappy, and a follow through version called a bottom fist - the palm faces the ground and you strike with the bottom of the fist instead of the back. However, that doesn't mean you can't modify a simple backfist to follow through.

actually, by definition, i was talking about dictionary definition, that shows that a jab is a quick motion, regardless of whether you are talking about a punch or something else.

Although it doesn't mean you cannot follow through with a Jab, by definition of the word, Zorbasan is right. A jab means a quick piston type movement. For a "Power Jab" I don't think it's the same thing. It just a normal front hand strike. In Karate, we do use both, but they are called two different things.

Bit like the backfist difference you described. To us, two different techniques.... Uraken (back fist) and Tetsui (bottom fist)

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

in TKD we learned backfist 2 ways. one was fast and snappy, the other was strong and followed right thru, both were called back fists.

however, a powerful punch with the front hand wasnt called a jab.

ah well , you say tomato, i say tomato

hrm..... that doesnt work as well in text