• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jab vs. Backfist

in are academy we use both, but i personaly like using the backfist in combat conbonations. better, it just seems to work better for me, i think when it comes right down to it always right down to the fighter in question which is more effective.

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pros for Jab: slightly more power, possibly faster, straight line attack

Pros for Backfist: possibly more damage, less orthodox/less predictable, more versatile

why do you say the backfist can do more damage when you also state the jab is stronger?

Some practitioners have only developed speed (not power and accuracy) in a jab. The same practitioner might use a backfist with devastating speed, accuracy and power to a vital point (temple, behind ear, jaw). In this scenario, the jab is probably used more frequently to open better targets, distract the opponent, break the rhythm, set up combinations, establish control, etc. The backfist, in this scenario, is used in moderation only when a vital target is open, in an attempt to knockout or do large amounts of damage to the opponent.

Again, this will vary depending on the fighter, situation, practicing methods, etc. This is just one of many possible scenarios. For someone that spends more time on the jab, to develop power and accuracy (in addition to speed) the jab will be more successful that an undeveloped backfist.

I guess, just from reading through the threads here, that there could be a couple of ways to execute the backfist. You could drive the backfist all the way through the target, during which you would have to get a good upper body twist to start out with. Or, it could be the quick, what would kind of resemble a "flick" of a backfist, that while would still have a decent penetration, and good speed, would not follow all the way through.

When I compare the jab and the backfist, I am thinking of the latter definition of the backfist. These two are very comprable, in my opinion, with the major difference being in the angle of attack; jab straight, backfist from the side.

Now, a spinning backfist, that would be powerful.

Pros for Jab: slightly more power, possibly faster, straight line attack

Pros for Backfist: possibly more damage, less orthodox/less predictable, more versatile

why do you say the backfist can do more damage when you also state the jab is stronger?

Some practitioners have only developed speed (not power and accuracy) in a jab. The same practitioner might use a backfist with devastating speed, accuracy and power to a vital point (temple, behind ear, jaw). In this scenario, the jab is probably used more frequently to open better targets, distract the opponent, break the rhythm, set up combinations, establish control, etc. The backfist, in this scenario, is used in moderation only when a vital target is open, in an attempt to knockout or do large amounts of damage to the opponent.

Again, this will vary depending on the fighter, situation, practicing methods, etc. This is just one of many possible scenarios. For someone that spends more time on the jab, to develop power and accuracy (in addition to speed) the jab will be more successful that an undeveloped backfist.

I guess now we get into the context of what the techniques are used for - what you described is the main use of the jab - it's not meant to be a power punch - that's what the cross if for - but it's possible to add power to the jab. My first ring fight, I KO'ed my opponent with a jab, but that's VERY rare. I'd imagine it's the same for a backfist.

Exactly! A spanner is not designed to knock nails into wood. Sure it would do the job if you use it as such, but a spanner is a spanner and a hammer is a hammer.

What am I getting at?? Just because a tool can be used for a certain job, doesn't mean it's the right one for the job or the best at it.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

i like the back fist.

i find it to be more versatile as it can be used for either power (if you follow it thru) or a snap. it also makes for a good counter if you deflect the persons attack opening up the back/side of their body

Now you use head for something other than target.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's funny because I prefer the jab! But I put that down to my funny elbow, it doesn't seem to like the motion of backfist and it gets all stiff and sore

The best armour is to keep out of range.

i like the back fist.

i find it to be more versatile as it can be used for either power (if you follow it thru) or a snap. it also makes for a good counter if you deflect the persons attack opening up the back/side of their body

you can do all of those things with a jab...

how about you start off your fight with a sideways stance.....first do the back fist off your front leading arm, then quickly drop and pivot and land a reverse jab with the back arm......then do what you want from there....but i find them very nicely done in a little combination. Each technique has its pros and cons, and those depend on the target and individual receiving the strike along with the stance of the user and the skill of the users strikes.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

i like the back fist.

you can do all of those things with a jab...

how do you follow thru a jab?

a backfist can be used as both a quick snap, or a driving power technique, a jab, by definition is just a jab. (duh)

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=SUNA,SUNA:2006-10,SUNA:en&q=define%3A+jab

Now you use head for something other than target.