• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jab vs. Backfist

I've been studying the traditional arts for awhile and have begun to cross train in combative arts, and was wondering which one would be more likely to be used in real life confrantations,

I've been told that the backfist is faster but after comparing the two I've found personally they are the same speed.

Thank you for any replies,

P.S. I'm not trying to say traditional is better than real-life trianing or vice versa, I've studied both and enjoy both very much

Salus

"You fight how you train"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the jab would have more power than the backfist, but the backfist is nice to change to if you jab a lot. By switching, you can throw off your opponent a little.

For us we train in both, I'd say equally, but in terms of power I kind of feel that a backfist has more. But then again I think it can depend upon that the target is. If they are both aimed at, say, the face or jaw I thin the backfist may be just a little more effective in injuring an opponent than a jab. In our dojo we normally use the jab to distract an opponent.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

My current intsructor told me to quit doing backfists in sparring, because they were to the body, and wouldn't produce much, because we need body displacement to score. And no contact to head with hands.

Anyhow, if I do a backfist, it would most likely be to the side of the face, with the lead hand, and would be a snapping motion, kind of like the jab.

With everything in martial arts, it all depends on the situation. My experience is I use the jab far more than the backfist, but there are situations where it's useful to use a backfist instead.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thank you for your insight,

I believe I will devote the same amount of time during my training to each one,

again thank you guys, its always good to know you have such a source of knowledge to turn to when a question comes up :)

Salus

"You fight how you train"

I would say that the jab and backfist tend to be about the same speed.

I will definately say that the jab has more power. With the jab the hips can be put behined it more than with the backfist. Having said that, I think we should loose focus on the fact that neither are designed for the power shot. The rear hand is where the power is. The front hand is for speed.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

They both have their pros and cons, which will vary based on the proponent.

Pros for Jab: slightly more power, possibly faster, straight line attack

Pros for Backfist: possibly more damage, less orthodox/less predictable, more versatile

Cons for Jab: fairly limited on targets (front of the face/body), targets are generally hard spots (with exception of nose)

Cons for Backfist: a miss will leave you more open for a counter, more motion involved, often not practiced as much as jab.

These are the pros and cons for me, as I see them. Figure out which of these apply to you, modify them to fit you and think of some that I left off. Then weight them. Then see if any of them are correctable.