• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hapkido vs Aikido--Effectiveness & Physical Fitness Requ

I have visited a number of Hapkido dojangs and Aikido dojos recently during actual classes. Both are impressive in terms of joint locks and takedowns. Question: Assuming one has an instructor of similar qualifications, which art should one pursue with the primary purpose of becoming proficient in self-defense within 5 years. Second question: Which art is more demanding from a physical fitness standpoint. Example, I witnessed the Hapkido master telling students to do a type of pushup that is many times harder than the standard pushup, whereby one has to cup both hands together on the mat, under the chest, and roll/push forward without falling over. It just seems that traditional Hapkido requires a somewhat greater degree of physical fitness just to make it through classes. When I visited a Combat (non-traditional John Pellegrini system) Hapkido class, the physical fitness requirement was not quite as demanding as that found in a traditional Hapkido school I visited. You did have to work hard in the Combat Hapkido class (push-ups sit-ups, thorough stretching, etc.). Edited by Billy Jack

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Personally, I would prefer Hapkido. It has more offense than Akido. Akido is almost (if not completely) defensive. I prefer the ability to attack first if necessary.

You can probably expect a decent workout in either. You're going to need some good fore-arm strength to maintain holds properly. And, you need some good upper body conditioning to be able to take getting thrown yourself.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I think hapkido would be better for self defense, while aikido would be better if you are working towards becoming a better and more spiritual person.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Physical requirements are all based on the school and teacher.

I have never studied Aikido, but people that I know that have studied it say that it has some offensive moves. I would think that either would be good for a 5 year study program. It all really depends on how agressive you want your techniques to be. In my dojang we are taught devestating techniques but are also taught to be mello and relaxed, even in a fight situation. THe techniques are agressive but you are not.

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!

Relaxation is so important in Aikido, infact its central. I know that Hapkido much more offensive than Aikido. So physically I would imagin Hapkido would be more demanding. Aikido concentrates more on Ki developement. I guess thats the main difference.

Take Care.

Breathing and Ki development are just as important in Hap Ki Do as anything else.

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!

Ah really H@pkid0ist, however I have relised that from what I have read anyway, there is perhaps less of an emphasis on Ki development. But I am sure that your knowledge is far greater than mine, as I have never had any lessons in Hapkido.

I would agree XpOiSoN FrEeX that in the lower stages of development, Hapkido would be far superior. Aikido like I have said before, takes along to be able to applie like is Wudang Kung Fu brothers.

Take Care.