• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sweat-wicking gi

Goldtooth

I sweat..a lot. I need the best, most sweat licking, drying, wicking away uniform. Im curious what suggestions yall from KF might have. Ive read about tokon, shureido, and even the bujin dogis with coolmax shoulders.

I need to not carry a soggy gi for 2-3 hours sessions. I workout in the South, and my two Juka Ryoyos, while awesome, are like lead weights in this heat. I need to get a new gi asap.

"What do you tell a guy with two black eyes?-nothing. Somebody's already told him. Twice."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shureido NW-2. Mid-weight, blended but very stiff fabric (i.e. stays away the skin, blended material - polyester/cotton - dries fast). Won't turn into a see-through uniform. The fabric keeps its stiffness when you sweat - it won't turn into a sticky "spiderman suit".

If you wish to get something heavier, NW-3 is also a possibility.

NW-line is seriously a big upgrade when compared to 100% cotton do-gi. Best you can get.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Havent seen anyone talk about the NW1. Our Fin friend made a good point about 'see through' gis that become transparent when you sweat, does the NW1 become clear?

I didnt mention that i dont really care about snap. I like to be able to throw/grapple, but...the sound of me moving is not so important.

Needs to fit right, have that long cut like my juka's, be effortlessly light, and wick water. Fantasy gi?

"What do you tell a guy with two black eyes?-nothing. Somebody's already told him. Twice."

I'm not sure about the NW1, but I have a Fox heavyweight gi. I'm very happy with it as it just soaks everything right up, but I'm not sure about the lighter ones if you're down south you may not enjoy the heavy gis.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Havent seen anyone talk about the NW1. Our Fin friend made a good point about 'see through' gis that become transparent when you sweat, does the NW1 become clear?

I haven't seen NW-1 yet. NW-2 is reasonably light already. Personally, I sweat a lot and wear the NW-3 for my everyday training - it wicks the moisture right away from my skin and dries very fast, feeling cool and nice all the time. It's lighter than most "heavyweight" cotton uniforms by weight, still keeping the same appearance.

Needs to fit right, have that long cut like my juka's, be effortlessly light, and wick water. Fantasy gi?

...or Shureido Mugen?

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

"it wicks the moisture right away from my skin and dries very fast, feeling cool and nice all the time. It's lighter than most "heavyweight" cotton uniforms by weight, still keeping the same appearance."

Echo these comments. I have the NW 2 and keeping the sweat away from the body is probably its best feature. Also, after training when I fold the gi I always notice how cold the sweat is for some reason, so it might somehow be keeping me cooler also.

The only problem I have noticed with the NW-2 is that dirt is accumulating in the lapels and is harder to wash out. I am about to buy some stain remover and see how that goes.

• 4 weeks later...

i might have to look in to this as i sweat a fair bit to.

i personally would like a nice strong gi that is cool, rather than wicking the sweat away. something that breathes.

Now you use head for something other than target.

If you can't find a gi you're happy with, I would suggest wearing an Under Armour or other sweat wicking T-shirt underneath your gi unless this is prohibited by your school.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War