• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What about head gear?

You could get a Red Man suit. :)

I'm not that concerned about injuries.

Okay, let's just set this straight: I want to just use the basic MMA style hand gear.

Here's the question: Do we need headgear to avoid serious injuries, or will my students be better off or just as well without it?

Sorry man, just having fun. I would suggest the type of headgear that boxers practice with. It can take a good swat, and provides good protection. I think they use it in Olympic competition as well. Everlast probably makes some like this.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No need to be sorry about it - I got a kick out of it, just didn't put a smilie. Here, I'll make it up to you: :D :D :brow: :brow: :lol: :lol: :D :brow: :brow: :lol: :D :D :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to look those up.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Sometimes it is more of an issue for parents. They feel safer when little jimmy is wearing headgear. But honestly, nobody with headgear or without should be coming in and hitting another student so hard that you have to worry about whether the headgear will prevent them from getting a head injury.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

No need to be sorry about it - I got a kick out of it, just didn't put a smilie. Here, I'll make it up to you: :D :D :brow: :brow: :lol: :lol: :D :brow: :brow: :lol: :D :D :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to look those up.

Didn't think you were mad; its all good. :D

Sometimes it is more of an issue for parents. They feel safer when little jimmy is wearing headgear. But honestly, nobody with headgear or without should be coming in and hitting another student so hard that you have to worry about whether the headgear will prevent them from getting a head injury.

That's an interesting perspective on it. I think if I were running a dojo for profit, which I may someday, that would definitely be something to consider. As for people hitting others so hard I would need to worry about headgear, I suppose that makes sense. Perhaps I will require shin and instep gear, though - I'm pretty sure a decent rounhouse or shin kick to the head would put someone out of commission.

Ed Parker

I don't think shin gear or an instep pad will prevent head injury if the contact to the head should be hard, but it will protect the shin. If you get headgear, the warning on it basically states that contact to the head may still result in injury to the person wearing it.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

So, essentially, I'm getting that I may as well forget headgear, and tell everybody to be careful - not no head contact, but careful head contact. And have good insurance. :D

Ed Parker