• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A few questions I'd like to ask...

First off, I would like to say that this is my first post here and I am very glad to have stumbled upon this forum. I know you guys get the same kinds of questions all the time, but please excuse my lack of knowledge in this field.

I am a 20 year old male who works 25 hours a week in addition to being a full-time student and having a full-time girlfriend :). In other words, I'm pretty busy.

I work out at the local gym 3-4 times a week and enjoy being active. I took Tae Kwon Doe classes when I was about 9 years old, but it did not hold my interest for whatever reason.

I want to learn a martial art, but I have no idea of how to start. Perhaps I'm completely wrong, but I think I want to participate in a type that is more physical than mental. I want it to improve my physique and make me more confident with my ability to defend myself.

A tiny bit of research has led me to believe that I would like to learn a style such as Krav Maga. It seems to be practicle and efficient, which is what I am looking for. However, as far as I know, there is no where around me that teaches this style.

Questions:

•How do I find out what places are near me and how do I get involved? If it matters, I live in Greensburg, PA (35 miles from Pittsburgh)

•How much time does the average student learn/train each week?

•How much does it usually cost?

Thank you so much for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Kaepora

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to find a place? The local yellow pages will usually work. Look up places near you and then visit them and watch a class or two.

How much time does the average student train? I'd say most students train an average of twice a week at the dojo, for around an hour each time. Of course this also depends on when/how often/how long the dojo offers classes. How often/long a student trains outside of the dojo really depends on their level of dedication.

How much does it usually cost? Well it can range from 20 to 200 dollars a month, depending on where you live. Some areas you will be hard pressed to find anything under 100 dollars, and others will have maybe one school that is over 100. Find out the typical prices in your area and use that to judge whether a school is charging too high or not. Don't compare between cities/countries/regions.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I'd also try a google search on something like "Krav Maga PA" when looking. Don't base your opinion on just a website though, go to the class and watch.

As to how many times a week to go, it really depends. You have a girlfriend, are a full-time student, have a part time job, and work out already 3-4 times a week.(The girlfriend thing can really cause a strain sometimes if she doesn't like having you gone.) That's not going to leave much time for practice unless you want to sub working out for martial arts. I think that if you're serious about it you should at least shoot for twice a week, but then again, it depends on your priorites.

Cost is one of those things that's hard to tell. I pay $60 a month and can go to train any time there's a class in session. Another school I looked at was $90 a month and I could only go three times a week. Another one was done by punch card where it was something like $12 a class.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Go to some of the local dojos in the area. Even if they don't offer Krav Maga, they may be able to direct you to a school who does. Good Luck.

Thanks for the replies!

I managed to find these dojos in my area:

http://www.yellowbook.com/Category/martial_arts_instruction/Pennsylvania/Greensburg/

I can tell you now that the place I learned at as a kid was the ATA Black Belt Academy. I know little about this sort of thing, but that sort of seems like what you guys would call a "McDojo." I could be way off - perhaps it's the best.

I intend to check a few of them out this weekend hopefully. The names of the places give little insight as to what type of art is practiced, so it seems that I will have to find out myself (I'm having a hard time finding websites for most of them).

Money is an issue, so that could be a heavily weighted factor. Although I am busy, I would like to go twice a week or more.

And I can't find anywhere near here that teaches Krav Maga. Hopefully I can find a style that is similar.

Thanks again.

ATA Black Belt Academys are not necessarily McDojos. I ran one myself at one point. Also, check out all of your options to see what you will like the best.

Good luck on the journey. :karate:

If you can afford the travel, (being that Pittsburgh is only 35 miles from you), there are several good schools in that area. Check them out. I can't say for sure that you will find krav maga, but there are several great MA schools that are very physical and will keep you interested and in shape.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

As an aside, I find it humorous that one's time available to train in MA is much different while the woman is one's girlfriend as opposed to when/if she becomes a wife. Training time shrinks dramatically when that conversion of the female-male relationship occurs. You might want to consider this for any long-term MA commitment.

:)

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu