• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seisan

armanox

When do you guys learn Seisan? We actually learn it at Rokokyu level, much earlier than some systems. I understand that it had only been taught at black belt until recently in Shorin-ryu, but I'm not sure if that is just with the Shobayashi branch.

With respect,

Sohan

We don't practice Seisan in shorinkan, i got the kata through shobayashi lineage. what style of shorin ryu do you practice?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When do you guys learn Seisan? We actually learn it at Rokokyu level, much earlier than some systems. I understand that it had only been taught at black belt until recently in Shorin-ryu, but I'm not sure if that is just with the Shobayashi branch.

With respect,

Sohan

We don't practice Seisan in shorinkan, i got the kata through shobayashi lineage. what style of shorin ryu do you practice?

Shobayashi Shorin-ryu. Our Grandmaster is Eizo Shimabuku from Okinawa.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

We teach Seisan after Naifanchin Sandan and before Pinan Shodan.

So, it's the last kata one learns as a white belt (gokyu) before green(yonkyu).

We do Kobayashi Shorin Ryu

http://kobayashiusa.com/Images/Lineage.jpg

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

I thought the Shotokan stances were deeper than the Okinawan styles? I was surprised to see that your stances were almost like cat stances, and I mentioned this to my sensei this evening and he made the same comment.

Ummm.....they are cat stances. Two of the three black belts in the clip also hold dan ranks in Shotokan, but they sink as deep as Miyagi stressed. When Miyagi first visited the states, his first class with them was nothing but stance work, pressing the importance of good stances, and sinking down.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

I thought the Shotokan stances were deeper than the Okinawan styles? I was surprised to see that your stances were almost like cat stances, and I mentioned this to my sensei this evening and he made the same comment.

Ummm.....they are cat stances. Two of the three black belts in the clip also hold dan ranks in Shotokan, but they sink as deep as Miyagi stressed. When Miyagi first visited the states, his first class with them was nothing but stance work, pressing the importance of good stances, and sinking down.

Apparently so, but the cat stances in the video are a bit different from ours, and more numerous in the kata.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Indeed the cat stance is probably the most used stance in our style.

That is very, very different than the version of Seisan that I practice. Interesting to see different variations though.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

If anyone could link a copy of their version of Seisan for comparison that would be appreciated......

The kata as performed is somewhat similar to the one I learned in Isshin Ryu. The Seisan that you perform has some added middle outside blocks at the beginning and the ending sequence of kicks are a bit different. It is interesting to see how Seisan is similar in some respects and different in other respects. Thanks

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt