• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seisan

armanox

My favorite kata. But, I'm curious to know about the other versions of seisan - I have only seem to have found one other person aside from my school and Okinawa that use this version. Your thoughts?

BTW, you can also view the version that we do.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/armanox/Shorin%20Ryu/th_Seisan.jpg

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, that's quite a variance from how we practice it in Shorin-ryu. Stances were the most obvious difference, as ours are a bit deeper. The basic pattern was recognizably the same, but we certainly interpret the kata differently. Thanks for the vid!

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I've never performed or seen the kata. However, I did a search on youtube.com and found 3 completely different versions of the kata. Therefore, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure your fine.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

For what it's worth, I notice differences in the forms I practice from association to association as well. You see the differences at tournaments and in books.

many people know this kata as Hangetsu , your version is a short version of shuri te seisan, most versions have 3 kicks toward the end , yours has two, in older versions the last kick is a crescent kick which you still can see in Hangetsu, the only unorthodox part of your version as shohan mentioned before is stances through out the kata.

I thought the Shotokan stances were deeper than the Okinawan styles? I was surprised to see that your stances were almost like cat stances, and I mentioned this to my sensei this evening and he made the same comment.

Hey bushidoman, congrats on the "black belt"!!!!

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

yeah, that's rather different to hangetsu, though easily recogniseable as the same kata. its always interesting to see how other styles do things. its not a kata i've practiced much to be honest. i should get into it a bit more.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

When do you guys learn Seisan? We actually learn it at Rokokyu level, much earlier than some systems. I understand that it had only been taught at black belt until recently in Shorin-ryu, but I'm not sure if that is just with the Shobayashi branch.

With respect,

Sohan