• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trouble with Karate Gi

jonnyq

Hi, sorry for the very noobish question but I was wondering if you guys could help.

My nephew has recently joined the karate club at his school and I think he has been given a Judo Gi which is different to the other uniforms. There seems to be an issue with the bottom part of his uniform and he is too embarassed to ask anyone.

He hasn't had any major problems but sometimes his trousers loosen and he has to re-tie them.

There is a label and like a single notch in the middle (like you would find on normal trousers) on one side and the other side which is loose and you can tighten the trousers. I think he has been wearing them label side back - with the loose side at the front which you can tighten.

I'm just wondering how they should be worn and what the notch is used for? I haven't got a clue and I'd like to help him. Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am guessing the notch looks like a single belt loop? I tie my gi pants by putting each end of the strings through the loop and then tie a knot over the top of it. I do not tie a bow ( like tying a shoe). I make a knot. It will not come undone during class and you will still be able to get the knot out after practice. If this doesnt help, really just have him talk to the head instructor. It would be more embarrassing to have your gi pants fall down around your ankles in class then to just ask for help.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Thanks for your help, I assumed the single belt loop would go at the front but wasn't sure. I made him ask his instructor when he wasn't sure how to tie his belt, even though he was shown in class. Now he can do it without any trouble. Thanks again and I will encourage him to ask if he isn't sure about anything.

Thanks for your help, I assumed the single belt loop would go at the front but wasn't sure. I made him ask his instructor when he wasn't sure how to tie his belt, even though he was shown in class. Now he can do it without any trouble. Thanks again and I will encourage him to ask if he isn't sure about anything.

Osu, the belt loop does go at the front. It is used to stop the tied ends working themselves up your stomach and keeps it centered on the navel.

The gi pants, has a back and front with regards to where the two ties go, so genrally you would stretch out the ties untill the back part of your pants are tight enough and then thread them through the front loop and tie as you please. This tends to stop the ties becoming too tight across the navel etc.

A good way to tell a Judo gi from a Karate gi is that Judo gis do not use ties.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Ummm, if you have a karate gi you should take the ties off. Cut them off, now...if not when you spar me I'll take advantage of your gi ;)

If they cut off the trouser ties you'll be taking advantage of a great deal more than that! :brow:

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Ummm, if you have a karate gi you should take the ties off. Cut them off, now...if not when you spar me I'll take advantage of your gi ;)

If they cut off the trouser ties you'll be taking advantage of a great deal more than that! :brow:

Whatever do you mean Angela? :brow:

Karate Ni Sentinashi

The Judo Gi's have no ties because the grappling where lapel grabs are used generally just rip them off. We see this a lot with our Karate guys when they start in Jiu Jitsu and use their Karate Gi until they can afford a Judo Gi. For Karate, the ties are fine. They help to keep the gi nice and presentable.

As for tellng the difference, there are a couple of ways. The easiest is of course the ties or lack thereor. Also, Karate Gi's tend to be a smooth texture usually of Cotton or Canvas. Judo/Jiu Jtisu Gi's are nearly always made of Cotton and generally have a "wavy" texture to them. Also, many have a diamond pattern stitched in at the bottom of the Gi. Also, on a Judo Gi, the lapel tends to be a lot thicker.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Another trick not to loose your pants.

After you make that first tight tying, simply roll the waistband and tuck the whole waistband under it self. The furthest your pants could ever drop is to hip hugger level. :)

It will also raise your pant legs an inch or 2 higher from the floor. :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.