• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassai Dai

jka_guyana

in sparring, and real combat, you may have to deflect a strike if your opponent gains the advantage, although the kata teach you how to defeat someone before they strike. if the opponent does get a shot at you, the kata teach you how to deflect the strike while initiating your own attack. this attack typically involves grappling and throwing so it doesn't happen in sparring.

of course you have to deflect strikes in sparring, but these deflections are massively different to what are often taught as 'blocks' in kata. when kata movements are taught as blocks, they generally involve meeting the attack head on with a weak part of your body. this is absurd. when you deflect an attack in sparring you generally move around or inside the attack (as you said) and deflect, not block. block means to get in the way of something. getting in the way of a strike is BAD idea. you want to be out of the way, and pushing/deflecting/parrying the strike somewhere else while making your own attack.

at the end of the day, you do what works for you. but let me ask you, how many times have you charged head on into a kick while trying to stop it with the weakest bone in your arm? because this is typical of kata 'blocks' as they are commonly taught (gedan barai is the particular example i'm thinking of).

Alsey, you are right on the button there. I agree with what you say.

Someone posted before about circular blocks, and this can be applied to any of the "blocks" you see in modern day karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic