• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassai Dai

jka_guyana

My instructors always say: "a block is a strike, and a strike is a block." For what it's worth.

jka_guyana: good luck to you on your endeavor. It sounds like you have quite the task before you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daimyo, I have always been shown that the first move is not a augmented forearm block but a strike. Bushido man - well put!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

jka_guyana: good luck to you on your endeavor. It sounds like you have quite the task before you.

Yes, It is quite a task. But it's only the website. Its something like promotion through website. I plan to use Sensei Woon-A-Tai website and "sub-domain" it. It will probaby be https://www.guyana.jkawfcanada.com . Its quite a long address, but its all we have. I only know HTML and CSS, so thats what I'm building it with.

Back to Karate

Anybody know the six ways to use the hips? I really need to know so I may apply it to my kata.

2nd Kyu || Brown Belt || JKA Guyana

Not sure about the six ways to use the hips. Twisting for power would be one, I guess. Fulcrum for a throw would be another. Not sure what the rest would be.

you guys really know alot. I still have tons to learn.

Bassai Dai is the kata I will be doing to proceed to Shodan (1st dan).

I am currently focusing on the 6 ways of using the hips and how they are used in Bassai Dai. (By the way i'm forgetting the 6 ways, may someone please remind me? ) And then I will apply it.

1. Vibration (e.g. hip movement during punch)

2. Pendulum (e.g. during snap kick)

3. Raising of the hips (i.e. raising into stance w/block or strike)

4. Lowering of the hips (i.e. lowering into stance w/block or strike)

5. Twisting (e.g. reverse hip - like in Heian Nidan)

6. Rotation (e.g. during side thrust)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Well, I find it interesting that Pinan Shodan (Heian?) ends with 4 defensive blocks, though my sensei says to interpret them as "pushoffs". Can't see that winning a fight, though. :-?

I suppose if it makes sense, a bunkai can be whatever you need it to be.

With respect,

Sohan

I study Shotokan. Heian Shodan ends with 4 shuto. Most of the basic bunkai puts the first as a block with the second as a strike to the neck. Then you turn and do the same with the other side of the body.

I think some people keep the original order (what I call nidan would be shodan). In that case the last 4 movements are two sequences of gedan barrai, open hand age uke, followed by another age uke. The basic bunkai we teach for this is blocking a low strike followed by a joint maneuver similar to BJJ's Americana defense for a knife. It's then repeated on the other side.

Of course, bunkai has many many variations between different schools and different instructors. Afterall, it's the bunkai that spurred the different schools of karate. Different people do/ see things differently.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

So is kata a simulated fight, as demonstrated by karate masters, or is it simply a collection of techniques for practice? This is a much-asked question that I never get a consistent answer about.

With respect,

Sohan

Yeah, whenever people ask me about this, I simply answer "yes". This is because I believe that for a beginner it can be one consistent fight from start to finish. However, for the advanced practitioner, it is a collection of techniques. Afterall, the likelyhood of getting attacked along the pattern of the kata is not high. IMO. As long as it always teaches good self defense, it's always correct.

Hmmm.....interesting food for thought. Why so many Kata's "finishing move" doesn't actually "finish" an opponent when it's a block. For Shotokan, that would include most of the Heians (1, 2, 4).

I've already written possibilities for the first two you mention. As for yondan try this out. This particular bunkai sets one attacker from the point of the combined high block/ ridge hand on.

You've just completed your augmented forearm blocks. You then have an attacker throwing a rt. punch (haymaker, lunge...whatever). You block(and grab the arm) with the left hand and haito (ridge hand) with the right to the temple/ mandible/ neck (take your pick). Next is the knee smash to the face/ groin/ stomach (still holding the hand you grabed earlier, your rt. hand can cup the back of the neck to secure). Now you turn and pull with the left hand as the rt. elbow strike goes back (this is the first shuto). During the crossing of the arms for the next shuto you grab the already trapped hand with your rt. and cup the hand with the left. As you perform the shuto it tosses your uke to the ground, completely and utterly cut down.

Wow, that sure sounds more complicated than it is. Just ask if there's any confusion. It's really not a difficult interpretation.

I've worked other interpretations where every single technique defends against and finishes an opponent.

Well, I find it interesting that Pinan Shodan (Heian?) ends with 4 defensive blocks, though my sensei says to interpret them as "pushoffs". Can't see that winning a fight, though.

I suppose if it makes sense, a bunkai can be whatever you need it to be.

With respect,

Sohan

I study Shotokan. Heian Shodan ends with 4 shuto.

Yep, the shuto can be used to black and counter in one move. Your guide in theory blocks or pushes the attacking arm out of the way (pushing it to the side will leave the body open and unprotected) and so when you finish the technique, you can strike into a heart point, triple warmer point of even into the jugular... :D

So is kata a simulated fight, as demonstrated by karate masters, or is it simply a collection of techniques for practice? This is a much-asked question that I never get a consistent answer about.

With respect,

Sohan

In theory yes. However, you are not really going to go into a fight and perfom Heian Yondan are you? For the beginners, then like PS1 said, yes. However, as you go through the ranks, then you begin to question... I believe (being a Brown belt) that different parts of a kata are for different scenairos (sp?) and that learning a kata will help us to deal with different situtations...

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

As for Bassai Dai, the name means "Storming a Fortress". It's all about invading the emporers castle. As such, it must show tremendous power and stability. It is not about being flashy. In this kata, it's about power (don't mistake power as strength, two different things). Make sure you do the kata with great determination and power. Keep your centre of gravity low and stable. Use the agression that would really be needed to storm a fortress.

Not to be picky, but although the accepted translation of Bassai Dai is "To Storm a Fortress Major", the actual meaning is nearer "The Major Way of Removing Obstacles". Batsu means to Extract or Remove and Sai means Obstacle or Blockage.

The kata is all about hip usage, without proper use of hips this kata is nothing!

It's a kata I love, and is probably closer to my heart as my sensei has written a book on it, which I reviewed in ShotoMag.

If you are interested in the book it can be bought: http://www.karateacademy.co.uk/shop.htm :karate:

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum