• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassai Dai

jka_guyana

Great post Jiffy - very good context as to the intent of this kata (makes me want to practice it more)!

Question to all regarding the first move. I have been taught that it is an augmented block - but I once had a sempai teach it's bunkai interpretation as a strike. Has anyone else heard this, and if so, isn't this against the Funakoshi principle of karate being "self-defence"?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I find it interesting that Pinan Shodan (Heian?) ends with 4 defensive blocks, though my sensei says to interpret them as "pushoffs". Can't see that winning a fight, though. :-?

I suppose if it makes sense, a bunkai can be whatever you need it to be.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Hmmm.....interesting food for thought. Why so many Kata's "finishing move" doesn't actually "finish" an opponent when it's a block. For Shotokan, that would include most of the Heians (1, 2, 4).

We have other kata like that: Ananku and Shimpa Tan, as well as Pinan Yondan, which finish with Shuto blocks (sure, they could be strikes, but I still can't see those flooring Chuck Liddell...) And Bassai Dai also ends in defensive moves in our system.

So is kata a simulated fight, as demonstrated by karate masters, or is it simply a collection of techniques for practice? This is a much-asked question that I never get a consistent answer about.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

Maybe the assumption is that when our collective enemies see our awesome fighting moves - they'll all run away like school girls after our last block!

Maybe the assumption is that when our collective enemies see our awesome fighting moves - they'll all run away like school girls after our last block!

Well, I find it interesting that Pinan Shodan (Heian?) ends with 4 defensive blocks, though my sensei says to interpret them as "pushoffs". Can't see that winning a fight, though. :-?

With respect,

Sohan

For us (we use Heian) the bunkai for the last four are block then strike. The First blocks a chudan punch, and as you setup for the next shuto, your arm does a press block, and the second shuto is a strike to the opponent.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

With respect,

Sohan

For us (we use Heian) the bunkai for the last four are block then strike. The First blocks a chudan punch, and as you setup for the next shuto, your arm does a press block, and the second shuto is a strike to the opponent.

That's how we do it also.

For practicality, I really never particularly cared for a shuto as a finishing blow, though, as my sensei likes to say, "Perhaps you just don't execute the technique well enough." I just find other techniques far more effective.

With respect,

Sohan

That's how we do it also.

For practicality, I really never particularly cared for a shuto as a finishing blow, though, as my sensei likes to say, "Perhaps you just don't execute the technique well enough." I just find other techniques far more effective.

With respect,

Sohan

One of the reasons I believe for that approach is the angle of attack. The person is coming in quickly on the 45 degrees...you're already in backstance so to me it feels pretty natural.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

you guys really know alot. I still have tons to learn.

Bassai Dai is the kata I will be doing to proceed to Shodan (1st dan).

I am currently focusing on the 6 ways of using the hips and how they are used in Bassai Dai. (By the way i'm forgetting the 6 ways, may someone please remind me? ) And then I will apply it.

Sensei Woon-A-Tai has plans to start a Karate college in Guyana:

Guyana Karate College

I am in charge of making the website.

We're trying to bring Guyana back to the powerhouse of Karate it once was. When Sensei Woon-A-Tai left Guyana everything went sub-standard (no disrespect to the black belts that were left in charge, but Sensei Woon-A-Tai was an inspiration to all of them back then.). Now we're going to be working our way up back again. And I am very proud to be a part of this. I seem to be the only 2nd kyu interested in becoming part of it unfortunately, but all of our black belts are ready to help in anyway.

The bi-(or by)laws have been approved and a few signatures and couple dollars more and we will have it ready. But this is just the beginning.

You guys here are really awesome, I spend alot of time roaming around in these forums and reading your post on karate. You really have expertise on it.

2nd Kyu || Brown Belt || JKA Guyana