• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassai Dai

jka_guyana

Well that would depend on the standards and expectations of the school. I realise in the west things are not as high a standard as it is in Japan in many cases, I am very sad to say (I lived there for 2 years).

A child simply doesnt have the muscular abilities to performadvanced Kata as what our school expects. Today many schools are happy just to have people perform the movements in order with little consideration of the bigger picture.

But that is the way of the world....

I could bench 245 and squat 350 when I was 13, and was well capable of handling myself in the ring or on the street with adults. I'm sure there are many others of the same age who can perform quite well with the appropriate training.

Furthermore, I find your comment about western approaches to MA condescending and generalizing. Considering the vast number of schools that exist in the west, it would be expected that there would be many different expectations of quality standards across the spectrum.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have the wrong person... I was on your side. AnonymousOne is the person stating "seventh dan," not I...

With respect to your seventh dan: Killer Miller

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I HAVE the muscular abilites to perform Bassai Dai. If not, I dont think the higly respected and talented JKA member by the name of Frank Woon-A-Tai who has in addition to is the leader of the third highest karate team in the world would have me performing this "advanced kata".

In Guyana we may have a small league of Black Belts, but their caliber is of the highest quality and under the tutorship of Sensei Frank Woon-A-Tai, it is to go further. And may I say, Sensei Frank Woon-A-Tai is also a guyanese. He has been performing Bassai Dai since my "tender" age and now he has turned in to being one of the best in the world.

I have to say, for 13 you speak like an adult. If your karate is anything like your communication skills, I'm sure you make a fine karateka.

By the way, we have a 14 year old in my school who just was promoted to Ikyu. Bassai Dai was required for that promotion, and he did just fine, perhaps better than most of the adults.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

AnonymousOne, I studied and trained with the best in the world, and I'm from the Western world. Our standards are of the absolute highest - you will find none better.

I've trained youths for many years and they are well capable, with the proper training, attention, and their dedication to achieve the high standards necessary for Black Belt and related techniques and katas.

To say that they don't have the muscle mass is rediculous because then you discount and totally misrepresent what karate is all about. Karate is not, and has never been, about muscle mass. It's about technique, breathing timing, stategies, muscle memmory, and above all using your entire body as one - which is far stronger than any single or group of muscles carrying out an action. Furthermore, there are many small and scrawny karate-ka that are very effective and dangerous.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I think you have the wrong person... I was on your side. AnonymousOne is the person stating "seventh dan," not I...

my apologies

2nd Kyu || Brown Belt || JKA Guyana

I have to say, for 13 you speak like an adult. If your karate is anything like your communication skills, I'm sure you make a fine karateka.

By the way, we have a 14 year old in my school who just was promoted to Ikyu. Bassai Dai was required for that promotion, and he did just fine, perhaps better than most of the adults.

With respect,

Sohan

:)

2nd Kyu || Brown Belt || JKA Guyana

AnonymousOne, Bassai Dai is a Brown Belt kata in JKA - even at 13 yrs old. He's fine learning Bassai Dai... In fact, I've personally taught that kata to 13 yr old kids, and they have performed that kata as good, in some cases better, than many adults. JKA harps on perfection of technique early on, so when they reach Brown Belt, they do quite well with these types of katas - even at 13.

- Killer -

Well that would depend on the standards and expectations of the school. I realise in the west things are not as high a standard as it is in Japan in many cases, I am very sad to say (I lived there for 2 years).

A child simply doesnt have the muscular abilities to performadvanced Kata as what our school expects. Today many schools are happy just to have people perform the movements in order with little consideration of the bigger picture.

But that is the way of the world....

Hearing that Americans water everything down, and are not as disciplined as other cultures, don't have high standards, and yada yada yada, gets kind of offensive to me. My wife drives an hour to work everyday, puts in 8 hours, drives home for an hour, and then gets supper on the table, takes care of our 8 month old and 10 year old, and then does homework to work towards her college degree. That is work ethic and discipline.

We are a different culture than the Japanese, and that is the way it is. Saying that kids are not capable of things like performing this form is rediculous. Look at kid wrestlers. Or Pop Warner football players. Oh, and the Little League World Series. Kids can perform in all of these athletic endeavors, and at very high levels. Everyone has a different level of ability, that cannont be argued. Limiting someone because one simply thinks that they are not old enough is, in my opinion, a very inaccurate assumption.

Hi There,

First of all, forget rank. Look at standard. While you might be somewhat optimistic, it's great to see some people with such enthusiasm. I have now been doing Shotokan for 19 years, and I still love it.

As for Bassai Dai, the name means "Storming a Fortress". It's all about invading the emporers castle. As such, it must show tremendous power and stability. It is not about being flashy. In this kata, it's about power (don't mistake power as strength, two different things). Make sure you do the kata with great determination and power. Keep your centre of gravity low and stable. Use the agression that would really be needed to storm a fortress.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Hi There,

First of all, forget rank. Look at standard. While you might be somewhat optimistic, it's great to see some people with such enthusiasm. I have now been doing Shotokan for 19 years, and I still love it.

As for Bassai Dai, the name means "Storming a Fortress". It's all about invading the emporers castle. As such, it must show tremendous power and stability. It is not about being flashy. In this kata, it's about power (don't mistake power as strength, two different things). Make sure you do the kata with great determination and power. Keep your centre of gravity low and stable. Use the agression that would really be needed to storm a fortress.

That is a great interpretation.

I agree with Sohan here. First of all JKA guyana, congratulations on sticking up for yourself. You must be a wonderful student to have. You are deserving of respect by all, as I believe all students of all ages and ranks deserve. Isn't that what mutual respect is and has been taught in most dojo's? Keep training hard. As I said in my previous response, you will get the best instruction on doing the kata properly by going directly to your instructor. He is going to want you to perform the kata as he teaches it. This will keep the kata uniform in his dojo.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.