• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fat karate masters

Kazuma

Kinda large but he moves okay.

He's a big guy. But he doesn't look too fat. I mean...he looks more like he's built like Bolo Young. Large chest and arms with a body that matches.

I think the thread is talking more about guys who are just fat outright.

if you actually watch some of his older films, esp the ones he did with jackie chan, he is actually fat, not stocky.

edit: sorry, thought you were talking about samo.

Now you use head for something other than target.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda large but he moves okay.

He's a big guy. But he doesn't look too fat. I mean...he looks more like he's built like Bolo Young. Large chest and arms with a body that matches.

I think the thread is talking more about guys who are just fat outright.

if you actually watch some of his older films, esp the ones he did with jackie chan, he is actually fat, not stocky.

edit: sorry, thought you were talking about samo.

He is pretty hefty in Enter the Dragon as well, but he could still do back hand springs. I can't even spell bakc hasnspings. :lol:

I've seen a few fat teachers over the years. Don't think I ever saw them training for a whole session though. Perhaps for 10 minutes but not all at once. Most of the time they just stand at the front or in the corner andbark orders. I find it quite inspiring when they're in line with you doing the same and making it look so easy whilst you struggle to keep up. If gives you something to aspire to.

When I've trained with Shihan Funakoshi he was always moving around the lines, joining in and training just as hard as everybody. He's in good shape if you ask me.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

I've seen a few fat teachers over the years. Don't think I ever saw them training for a whole session though. Perhaps for 10 minutes but not all at once. Most of the time they just stand at the front or in the corner andbark orders. I find it quite inspiring when they're in line with you doing the same and making it look so easy whilst you struggle to keep up. If gives you something to aspire to.

When I've trained with Shihan Funakoshi he was always moving around the lines, joining in and training just as hard as everybody. He's in good shape if you ask me.

You are correct about the feeling you get when they are in line with you. I don't think I will ever be the one making it look easy, though!

It's kinda like age too. Skills increase but other things hold you back. Old, fat masters if they had the knowledge and skillset back when they were shodans would be unbelievable. As for the heavy ones...if they can just get one good one in...it's over :)

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I think it's just something that happens to a lot of people over time. Some focus more on teaching instead of training, which makes them very good teachers, but not very good karate-ka. I train harder now than ever before which keeps my metabolism high, but if I get fat over time, I know it won't be from lack of training. It would probably have more to do with my love of fried foods and chinese cuisine.

"On Ko Chi Shin"

I read "Martial Arts over 40" recently by Sang H. Kim, it was actually pretty good, very basic. He said there are only two options to stay physically fit, Eat Less, Burn More. No fads, No gimmicks, the simple truth. As we age, we deal with a little more pain, a little more stiffness etc. I think it takes more motivation to get moving and speed up that metabolism. There are people who don't stereotypically appear "fit" but are of course limited by their physical shape. I am tall and slender and try really hard to build muscle but I feel strong but to look at me you wouldn't know. Sometimes you just can't tell. :karate:

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

was watching a show called chris angel mind freak last night.

this guy doesnt look extremely strong. kinda like a regular athletic build.

but the guy lifted a car, and ripped a phone book in half. he said it was all power of the mind.

i only caught the last 10 minutes of it but still.

Now you use head for something other than target.

I think that comes down a lot to what I've been talking about in class the last couple of weeks.

C - Centre

O - Of

R - Reserve

E - Energy

There is a lot of mental and physical ability that humans have and commonly don't use. Regardless of age, it's sometimes nothing short of amazing when we see someone who knows how to access this on command.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.