• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fat karate masters

Kazuma

I was hoping research would eventually surface that would support my long held theory that my favorite pint of cold stout or ale was actually immaterial in creating abdominal triglyceride augmentation, but it has yet to occur.

And yet I wait, hopefully....

:(

With respect,

Sohan

HAHAHA, I think you might be waiting a while Sohan.

Just a little more on this, I think it's somewhat shallow of some people to critisize their masters that are putting on weight. Generally these people have donated their entire lives to Martial Arts. Do they not deserve a beer every now and then? What about a bit of chocolate. Are they not allowed to have this because their students are more interested in what is on their stomach as opposed to what is in their mind. After all, that's what we should be looking for isn't it? Sure, it's not the most respected image, but I think we should look past the old man who enjoys a bit of luxury in his old age, and seek what really matters, his wisdom.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jiffy,

Just a little more on this, I think it's somewhat shallow of some people to critisize their masters that are putting on weight. Generally these people have donated their entire lives to Martial Arts. Do they not deserve a beer every now and then? What about a bit of chocolate. Are they not allowed to have this because their students are more interested in what is on their stomach as opposed to what is in their mind. After all, that's what we should be looking for isn't it? Sure, it's not the most respected image, but I think we should look past the old man who enjoys a bit of luxury in his old age, and seek what really matters, his wisdom.

I am not talking about a little weight I am talking about being extremely obese In addition, I understand there are those people who have a valid reason for being obese. I remember having a gym teacher who could not run a half mile to save his life but would yell at those people could not run a half mile also. I know people are flawed and we are all from far from being perfect but I would only want a teacher that led by example but yes people should not judge a book by its cover but by its contents.

"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing else to pursue." -Hagakure

Well put Jiffy! Truthfully, if we all stop and take a look around, the majority of the U.S. population, including children are overweight. So if any of them are trying to get out and excercise, kudos to them. I think it is all this computer stuff keeping people inside and doing nothing... wait, I'm inside and on the computer :-? Ok, I am going to go practice kata!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

all this computer stuff keeping people inside and doing nothing... wait, I'm inside and on the computer :-? Ok, I am going to go practice kata!

Shot yourself in the foot there didn't you? :P :lol:

Being obesed is an issue... Medical Profs are always saying that it is the cause of high cholesterol, but HANG ON! Your body makes cholesterol anyway, with or without fatty based foods, so somewhere in that statement there is contradiction.

On the other hand, fatty foods can lead to obesity as well as CHD and again, something to be concerned of (not worried... I hope i'm not making anyone feel low about themselves? If so, do tell me! :D)

It is a problem that everywhere, you are going to get, and the fact is, if you get these fast-food companies to close down, and get areas that serve good quality food; then your problem is near enough solved.

Its the fact of getting every other person to do it too that is the obstruction.

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

• 2 weeks later...

my teach is about 6' 2" and 300lbs and is solid as a rock i have seen people hurt their hands hitting him

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

Speaking of fast food, and healthy eating, has anyone noticed that it is cheaper to eat less healthy foods than it is to eat healthy? Is there something wrong here?

Another side note, kind of along the lines of what we could consider "fat" teachers.

Head football coaches, especially at the professional level. I am not saying they are all fat, but I'll bet there aren't any of them that could suit up and play with those boys, let alone practice with them.

Don't you think that martial arts kind of falls along the same lines? Now, how many teams could have won the Super Bowl with one of the players coaching the team? Food for thought.

On the fast food thing. Yeah, because of my busy schedule (a Martial Arts school to run, a Car club to run, a full time job and a wife to keep happy) I eat way to much fast food. While I have managed to keep the weight down (5'9", 80KGs) it would be a lot easier if healthy food was fast and cheap, but it's not. Why?? Food off a production line has less wastage and costs less to manufacture.

Here's another interesting scenario. A few years back, the Australian national swimming coach (swimming being our best olympic sport)... he was a fantastic coach, pulled a ton of olympic medals, and yet..... he couldn't swim a stroke to save his life!!

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.