• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fat karate masters

Kazuma

Whats up with fat Karate "masters"?

"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing else to pursue." -Hagakure

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dunno man, but i understand your question. ever seen master mutobo? i have this picture of him and he has such a beer belly.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

dunno man, but i understand your question. ever seen master mutobo? i have this picture of him and he has such a beer belly.

Yeah I seen a picture of him the other day. Secret kata beer belly smash!

"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing else to pursue." -Hagakure

I have seen them, and I never underestimate their abilities

Oh, I know they could stomp the floor with me but I believe they should have more discipline instead of becoming overweight after all they do represent their art. I understand that age is factor in their condition but I do believe that they could maintain a healthier lifestyle.

I have seen them, and I never underestimate their abilities :lol:

Jaymac, I agree with you about not underestimating them, though I have met more than a few Buddha-esque karate masters who have let their conditioning get away from them and I think they underestimate those who are in fantastic shape. Some of our most revered masters sometimes seem to believe that technique is everything, which it most certainly is not . A fat old master who huffs and puffs up a flight of stairs might be able to take out a couple untrained, unarmed punks on the street, but against a skilled, highly trained professional NHB fighter? Uh, I don't think so.

Look at a guy like Helio Gracie. Though not a karate master, at the ancient age of 92, he would still probably eat some guys half his age for lunch. Or how about Joe Lewis? I hope I'm in near that good of shape at 60+. Those are the masters I respect the most--and I only wish I could have had the pleasure of seeing what kind of shape Bruce Lee would have been in this year at age 65.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I had a friend that a budda belly that was a Nidan. He was a very good Nidan and not someone you want to mistake that percetion of. Additionally, my Aikido friend has a budda belly.

What's my point, many of these types of persons have generally already had weight problems. By taking martial arts, they lost considerable weight and are in better condition they have ever been in. Once they stop training, they revert back to their old self. So may feel, when they see them that way, that they went on an eating binge when in reality that they really just returned to their own physical state.

This may not always be the case, but I've known a few really good MAs where their weight really wasn't a significant factor. They well had my respect...

Moral or the story? Don't judge a "budda belly" by it's cover. :)

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/