• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

daido juku karate or other full contact fights

Hello all. I live in Austin texas, I have a 1st dan in kajukenbo. I am wanting to0 find places to actually compete like the full contact you see in daido juku or shidokan. Where do I get info on these type of places? All I seem to find is muay thai/kickboxing which I also compete, but I want to compete in karate style fights also. If you go to "youtube.com" you can see these kinds of fights, all I find is point fighting which to me sucks . Also any good websites to get fight videos like these? thanks

-adam-

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

daidojuku.com has some vids. There was a good vid in the Karate section here a while ago, if you do a little searching.

I dont think Daidojuku has any branches in the US yet. Dont know about any of the other "shin karate" styles either.

I can understand your frustration. I just wouldnt be interested in competing in point rules or kyokushin rules any more. Its just a very different way of fighting. Your best bet is just Sanshou/ Muay Thai/ or amature MMA.

Karate in the west seems to be moving in a very different direction to Japan. The influence of kick boxing and MMA is huge here. Traditional dojos are getting fewer and fewer, whereas "Shin Karate" and "Kakutogi" ,or fighting sport dojos teaching a mixture of Karate and kickboxing/submission, are sprouting up all over.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

The IKCA usually has their full contact tourney in your area, aruond August. You might also want to check out Michael Billings' Kenpo Karate. 12034 Research Boulevard, Suite 2 Austin, Texas 78759

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I don't know about anyone teaching Daido Juku in the USA but there is some kakutogi. The problem is that kakutogi isn't really known about in the USA so the few people I know that teach it don't really say "kakutogi". The best way for me to explain it is, Kakutogi is martial sport but practitioners of it compete in knockdown rules tournaments, mma, muay thai/kickboxing, etc.

I would perhaps suggest getting into Enshin or any other knockdown rules karate that allows grabbing/clinching at all in competition. Unfortunately, most Kyokushin doesn't allow this in competition anymore....to me, this changes the way a fight is greatly.

p.s I still respect Kyokushin a lot and a couple of months ago competed in a kyokushin tourny but wish they allowed grabbing/clinching, like Sabaki