• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My kata

Yasutsune Makoto

Some advice from a different style (goju ryu) firstly agree massively with what someone previously said, in a nut shell less haste more speed. Think about the natural rhythm of the kata, fast and slow at different types, if not sure just focus on what the movements mean.

Then maybe this is just a goju thing but i its all about your hips, i spotted at least a few stances where they were in the wrong shape for the stance (this is hard to explain) To try and understand go through the kata with no hand movements focusing on locking your hips as you complete each stance, thinking about feet, where your hands would be and head position.

Hope this helps

Otherwise very good

Jon

Take life and live it

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All critiques are humbley accepted.

I would like to make one quick point though. Without the sound of a gi and my breathing, as the video has no sound, the full effect is really not achieved. Just something some of you may not have noticed.

Thank you for your comments, keep 'em coming.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

Then maybe this is just a goju thing but i its all about your hips, i spotted at least a few stances where they were in the wrong shape for the stance (this is hard to explain) Jon

I'm not sure about that. I think it's just something about fudo-dachi. I see fudo-dachi (in Shotokan) as a rooted stance... an end position. It really does not lend itself to stepping through, as in a kata, and therefore movements may look forced. Fudo-dachi is a stance for when the opponent is already under your control.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum