• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how are you supposed to wash your belt and gi?

If you do wash the belt, don't use bleach!

Also, if you use bleach on your gi, I have found that it makes the gi fall apart sooner because it weakens the fabric.

With respect,

Sohan

Good point. I never bleach my do-bok.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
If you do wash the belt, don't use bleach!

Also, if you use bleach on your gi, I have found that it makes the gi fall apart sooner because it weakens the fabric.

With respect,

Sohan

Good point. I never bleach my do-bok.

My wife and I use shout instead of bleach and it works great.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Ok, you got great advice on the gi part, but havent we done the "wash the belt" topic to death already on other posts. Do what you want with your belt---> its yours.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Ok, you got great advice on the gi part, but havent we done the "wash the belt" topic to death already on other posts. Do what you want with your belt---> its yours.

I have seen both here, wash it, or don't.

One philisophy I have seen is that your belt represents the blood, sweat, and tears that you have put into your training, and washing it washes it all away.

Just what I heard, not saying it is right or wrong.

I have heard the same thing Bushido and I do not wash my belt. But don't you agree that this topic seems to be one of those things ...like politics or religion... that should just not be discussed. There are so many different opinions by everyone. IMHO, I do what my instructor says. He says.."Don't wash your belt." So I don't. Why don't we all agree to disagree. :lol:

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I have heard the same thing Bushido and I do not wash my belt. But don't you agree that this topic seems to be one of those things ...like politics or religion... that should just not be discussed. There are so many different opinions by everyone. IMHO, I do what my instructor says. He says.."Don't wash your belt." So I don't. Why don't we all agree to disagree. :lol:

Hey, were cool. :) I agree with you. My current instructor is fairly indifferent on the subject.

My instructors also have said the same things on the belt matter. If you wash your belt its considered all you know and all your hard work has just been washed away.

Kenpo for 6 years and Shotokan for 4

z6.invisionfree.com/Karate_Forum

Well said.

I don't wash my belt, and I would worry about wear on it if I did - I would think that regular washing may have negative effects on the life of the belt, or the condition of the seams.

As for gi - always line dry, and use cold. I've never had any adverse effects from bleaching my white gi, but I haven't had one for years, and I just got a new one - I'll be careful with the bleach, then.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker