• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To all Mauy thai ring fighters

I have been back in trianing Mauy thai for a few weeks now and love it, and would like to eventualy fight, however I have some problems, please tell me if you felt the same things when you were fairly new to the sport.

oh and I am 22 if that matters.

I am not naturaly hard and find sparing a bit heavy, but I am happy to keep going at it, I find that I am reluctant to strike as for the pain it might cause me, but I do have short bursts where I do a quick combo that suprises myself. whe in the ring is it true that the adrenalin dose not alow you to feel pain so much. and how can I toughen myself up.

thanx in advance,

"perfection, is something we all get closer too with training, but you will never get there and untill you accept this your mind will be limited in what you can achive"

- Dave

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pads and the heavy bag will toughen up your shins.Before you fight you'll have to get rid of the fear factor as this could prevent you winning fights.Sparring is good for this as it's probably a confidence thing.

My biggest advice is make sure you are with a good gym(check their rep with other Muay Thai gyms).

A good coach will know when you're ready and not throw you to the wolves.

Good luck.

As for being 22,I wish I was still 22.

Well at the beginning it is hard to spar.

But you should spar with something that is about as good as you and after you get better and realise that you don't have to be blocking all the time and can have fun fighting.

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

Part of your training will be conditioning the body as well as the mind. Instead of focusing on your pain, just think how much pain the other person is gonna feel once you start laying the "smack" down!! :lol:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

On 2002-04-29 00:33, Pacificshore wrote:

Instead of focusing on your pain, just think how much pain the other person is gonna feel once you start laying the "smack" down!! :lol:

i'll have to agree with that. i don't train MT, but i get to see a LOT of fights on TV. and they don't seem to care when they get hit (except when they get a shin in their neck and go down :razz: ). they always look at the opponent. i think it's all about morale and concentration..

and i agree that if you make it clear to your coach that you want to ring fight, he'll tell you when the time is right.

good luck :wink:

"in the ring is it true that the adrenalin dose not alow you to feel pain so much. and how can I toughen myself up."

In Muay Thai the first round tends to be relatively slow and cautious. Of course this is so that the fighters can test each other out in blocks and attacks but it is also so that adrenaline is triggered and given time to flow for the very reason it stops the fighters feeling as much pain.

Fighters will often kick each other at the same time and clash shins and neither of them even wince. This is because of the concentration, adrenaline and general pain tolerance that each has.

Its after the fight that you realise just what's happened to you and you limp around for a few days.

To toughen yourself up is it simply a matter of long, constant drills on the bags and pads. The shins and elbows slowly become tougher and tougher whilst nerves are deadened. There is no quick way about it, it can only be done through hours and hours of kicking.

As for kicking trees and things, I asked about this when I went to Thailand and they said No, kicking trees is silly because it'll just damage your bones. So leave all the 'kick the tree' stuff to Hollywood and get conditioned in the gym :smile:

Muay Thai: A damn tough martial art. Maybe not the hardest in the whole world (it lacks ground work) but as a practical form of fighting it is right up there with the toughest... That's what I think anyway https://www.theapproachingstorm.com/thailand/mainmenu.htm