• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bowing out

I don't agree with everyone else here. I don't think this is a good idea, But I have stopped chasing after students. I have had a few student' in my life, even black belts, tell me they were gonna take a break. They have never returned. Students that I felt were more dedicated than even myself. I run into them at church or the mall, and it's always the same thing, they wish they never gave it up, and regret quitting. Yet they are embarrased to go back in front of their peers. You have your reasons, but I hope you reconsider.

I wholeheartedly agree; had I not left when I was 16 I'd be a sandan right now.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but I guess the point is, MA is not a lifetime journey for everyone. Sure you will get further if you stick to it, but that's just not what some people are looking for in life.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Hi karatekid1975,

It appears to me that you have been doing MA for some time (by your post count). It's sad to hear that you have decided to leave. I thought I would bring this to your attention though... you're not leaving MA, you're simply choosing not to physically practise it. Over time, MA integrates itself into your life and becomes a way of life. While you may not be practising the physical techniques, I hope the principle that you have learned in your MA continue to guide you and become a rich part of your life... even if you're not aware of them. As for the physical practise, who knows, you may return one day, but if not, that doesn't matter. It's all part of the natural circle of life that we must respect. All good things come to an end.

The only constant, is change.

Good Luck!

Good post Jiffy. I have learned a lot from MA. The disipline helped me keep a job more than a year. I have more confidence, self esteem, ect. My temper was tamed LOL. Anyways, I am still going to practice some stuff on my own. It's not the end of MA for me. I just have to find the right dojang (I've been having trouble with that since I moved to NY). Not that the ones I practiced at were totally bad, just not for me.

Laurie F

Good luck to you Laurie.

There is life outside of the dojo. You may find that a little absence will either rejuvinate you and you may start again or you may look back fondly on what you learned and how much better your life is today because of it.

I've been there. Birth of 2nd child, work, family, yet I felt the need to come back. Now after I joined a new style it all seems fun and relevant again. There is no longer the need to practice MA only the want. With any luck we will all still be training and posting with our grandkids. :wink:

Best of Luck,

-Marc-

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

You know, something just occured to me. You could work on an internal art. You can do that pretty much anywhere.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

There is now a rumor of my jujitsu instructor having a class in a new school that his wife might get. I would definitely stay with jujitsu if that happens. But it's just in planning stages right now. So, it all depends on if and when she gets it.

Laurie F

• 3 weeks later...

Update all. It's good news. I thought alot about what you all said here, and I have talked to Heidi many times when I have MA "troubles." There's some stuff she said that didn't sink in till later. But finally it has ... after a month ... Sorry Heidi, that it took so long.

Anyways, the good news is that I am going back to the ITF school two days a week to get my "feet wet" again in MA. And I will be doing jujitsu once they are settled into the new dojang. I'm going to take it easy at first, learn my new forms, and see what happens. Wish me luck :)

Laurie F

It's funny when I read your previous posts from July, I thought there is something else, there is always a reason we lose the spark, it is usually relationship oriented sometimes adding another style might be the trick. When I have had challenges in the past, I would look at my husband (who is a sixth degree wise sensei) a MA for 34 yrs and say (I'm going to bow out for a while, maybe take some time off) :( Once I identified the problem it gave me the motivation to go back because my love of MA has never waned, circumstances get in the way and cloud my perception of things and I think it's how I feel about training but it isn't. I guess I am trying to say I totally inderstand and am so glad you are working it out. :karate:

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.