• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best Academy of Martial Arts

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll definitely have to go check out their classes. Unfortunately for me, Champaign is a very small town, so that's the only place which teaches jiu-jitsu. Since I'm not very interested in Budo or Kung Fu, I think I'll be having a different teacher than that Dr. Brownridge, this Tim Morrrissey character. I too feel that Dr. Brownridge's credentials are quite ridiculous.

Tae Kwon Do 1st degree Black Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The school seems to be emphasizing fighting techniques above any of the other various benefits and practices of martial arts. Perhaps this is a marketing technique, but be cautious. As we know, martial arts is not about being able to kick someone's butt.

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jacob, that's really debatable. I'm a student of the martial arts for self-defense first and foremost, and I speak for a lot of the people in the martial art community.

I don't need a martial art for philisophical reasons or to define my morals for me. My values and philosphies about living my life are not dependent on my martial art.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Jacob, that's really debatable. I'm a student of the martial arts for self-defense first and foremost, and I speak for a lot of the people in the martial art community.

I don't need a martial art for philisophical reasons or to define my morals for me. My values and philosphies about living my life are not dependent on my martial art.

Here here.

Didn't see the bio of the owner. That is a LOT of time in rank to attain those degrees. I mean a lot of time....lots.....really lots....like, he must have never had a full time job so he could go to 6 different schools a week to train lots.

Does anyone know how old this guy is? His age might be a tip as to the legitimacy of his claims.

I came across the site reviewing the weblogs, so hopefully I can directly answer some of your comments since I manage the place.

1. Brownridge and some others ranked themselves in the 70's since they started their own style - apparently this was common among martial artists who were going into business and probably a root to the demise of traditional systems. He is over 60 and does have some high ranks that are legitimate; according to some websites you can track, he was a freak of nature in his youth and his passion and ability got him ranked quickly, especially in styles where you could challenge higher ranks for their rank through sparring (usually until knockout, submission or injury).

2. I suggested using Budo, not as a style, but as a state of mind to reach when training and changing through your training. It's James Hawn's accumulation of knowledge over the years and he doesn't call his style anything, he'll tell you to train with him and call it what you will (but that is pretty hard to print on fliers). I'm sorry that it isn't an actual fit as a style, but you should try it out, we teach a lot of Jiu Jitsu within the class and you get to throw/kick/punch me.

3. Tim runs a good class and it is popular. There was the comment about the message delivery and reception, I believe he is trying to communicate that regardless of how good an instructor can be, an open mind and dedication is even more important.

If you have any more questions or comments, or I totally missed something, I'll do my best to respond here in a timely manner.

I hope to see you soon.

Bart