• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some of you wushu or other style guys have got craaazy hops! Is there any way I can learn to jump better?

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I will look that up...

God bless Google.

:D

Ed Parker

Sohan recommend books by (Donald, I think) Chu. The last name is right for sure, can't remember the first. I have some of his books, and they are great.

If you are looking for simple exercises to do, work on your calf muscles. I'm not sure what the exercise is called, but stand on your tip toes, then lower yourself until you're almost touching the ground...as close as you can get without actually touching, usually within a couple of millimeters...then raise yourself back up on the balls of your feet. Do this until you can't do it anymore, every other day, and you're jump height will increase. There are other things, but this is a beginning.

Work Hard, Play Hard, Live Hard,

but Love Softly, and with all your Heart,

For Time waits for no one,

and Life goes hand-in-hand.

~Max

If you are looking for simple exercises to do, work on your calf muscles. I'm not sure what the exercise is called, but stand on your tip toes, then lower yourself until you're almost touching the ground...as close as you can get without actually touching, usually within a couple of millimeters...then raise yourself back up on the balls of your feet. Do this until you can't do it anymore, every other day, and you're jump height will increase. There are other things, but this is a beginning.

I do that while pulling up on a bench-press machine with 70 lbs on it, to add weight. Just started recently, so I hope that will help.

Ed Parker

My sensei had me do that. Only I had to stand on the edge of a step, so that I would lower my heels down way below my toes. I also wore ankle weights to school for 1 month. At first I felt like I was walking through mud all the time, would barely make it to class on time. By the end of the month, I sometimes forgot to put them on and wouldnt even notice till later in the day.

Also at karate sometimes he has the kids do jumps over the bags. Pile like 3 kicking shields on top of eachother, and make rows of them. Then you go down the line, sometimes jumping over them, sometimes rolling over them. But you have to jump very quickly out of your rolls or into the next jump. He said that you cannot let anything but the balls of your feet touch the ground.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Parkerlineage: it should help...it's not going to happen overnight, but after two or three months you'll be able to tell a large difference.

Rateh: wearing ankle weights, wrist weights, and body weights are great weighs for conditioning your body and making it stronger, however i must warn you about the motions you make while doing this. whenever you have weights on like that, avoid jerking movements. For example, one may think that doing kicking drills with ankle weights would increase your speed and strength. If you do this, however, you will destroy the cartiledge, tendons, and ligaments in your knees, and then you won't be kicking at all. Be careful, and if you wear them, do not wear them to your martial arts classes.

The weights, when worn throughout a normal day, do help immensely though. I also do this, and am now carrying 30 lbs on each leg, and 10 lbs on each arm. i don't do this everyday, and the difference from the days i do and the days i don't is tremendous...I love it!

:-D

Work Hard, Play Hard, Live Hard,

but Love Softly, and with all your Heart,

For Time waits for no one,

and Life goes hand-in-hand.

~Max

Yes of course maxma. I never did kicks etc while wearing them. Only slow/normal movements. I've considered wearing them again, but all my pants are a bit short of late, and so it would be quite obvious...

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein