• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trained for sport or self defense?

This question is more for a Kyokushin member with a number of years under there belt.

I wanna ask this question with out comming across being ungreatful or cocky that is not my intention, I thought id ask here before i ask my instructor.

When we spar we are not allowed to hit to the face,groin,knees.

The amount of time we spar we make sure no one aims for those parts beacuse we want everyone to be safe..So now are we trainning for the sport of it and where would the self defense in a sense come in if we are not allowed to his the vital areas?

An example is this a guy i know of trainned JKD i think.... was in a bar fight and he was gonna punch a guy in the face but hesiated the guy saw it and took advanagte of it and the guy i know of was takin down in a matter of seconds...

So how can we train so we dont hesistate if a fight should occur?

Insight from anyone would help greatly from other styles i am intrested in how to overcome this.

thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighting spirit is an attitude, not so much about techniques. Your lucky to be training in one of the tougher styles of karate. Over time, and with practice you will develop that fighting spirit. Having that is more important than any set of techniques(the techniques just back up the attitude).

So how can we train so we dont hesistate if a fight should occur?

Ask some of the senior students if they can work with you on the areas you are not comfortable with. And talk to your instructor, he/she will be the best person to consult.

I've wondered this before, but do you throw the shots at all, or not even think of it as a target? We always throw, usually controlled - and that hopefully is enough.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Kyokushin karate isn't about the sport nor is it about self defense. You practice Kyokushin karate for yourself. Maybe it means you get to be a good tournament fighter or maybe a good street fighter, but that's not the point of Kyokushin Karate, or any karate for that matter.

You can get around this by training with some partners with different rules. Put some gloves on and allow face contact. You may have to do this on your own time, or ask your instructor if you can change things up in class from time to time. Also, just constantly keep these ideas and targets in mind, so you know those options are available.

Kyokushin karate isn't about the sport nor is it about self defense. You practice Kyokushin karate for yourself. Maybe it means you get to be a good tournament fighter or maybe a good street fighter, but that's not the point of Kyokushin Karate, or any karate for that matter.

Yes i understand that but i think u are missing my point :)

I don't know but it depends. Practicing MA to for self defense can get you to a point but in fighters there is that one extra something that they have call it a killing instinct that allows them to deliver the actual blow necessary. Some people practice with a rifle and are darn good at it but to actually use it on a living thing causes hesitation or just a total and freeze. I would like to think that going that extra inch to get you to the point where to can fully attack without hesitation would depend on the situation. If your life is in danger and you know it I would like to think that if you have the skill you will react fully and totally.

As I said, I do not know. I never was in that situation or reached that point. Practice of MA allows you the potential. I am not sure if there is a way to practice to get to the point that you wish without going against, what I think, is the underlining essense of karate...peace

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I don't know but it depends. Practicing MA to for self defense can get you to a point but in fighters there is that one extra something that they have call it a killing instinct that allows them to deliver the actual blow necessary. Some people practice with a rifle and are darn good at it but to actually use it on a living thing causes hesitation or just a total and freeze. I would like to think that going that extra inch to get you to the point where to can fully attack without hesitation would depend on the situation. If your life is in danger and you know it I would like to think that if you have the skill you will react fully and totally.

As I said, I do not know. I never was in that situation or reached that point. Practice of MA allows you the potential. I am not sure if there is a way to practice to get to the point that you wish without going against, what I think, is the underlining essense of karate...peace

well said

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

We practise what you called "vital areas" against a pad or focus mitts. We are taught basics of self defence and sparring for us is light combat. I don't think you need to practice kicking men in the groin to know that a swift maegeri will do the trick. (although I may suggest that next lesson!)

Karate Ni Sentinashi

Talk to your friends at the dojo, nothing like a open minded and friendly spar without prying eyes so that you can test/train some stuff.

I train Goju, and at the end of class we have 30 min for ourselfs when most peple leaves and only some of the higer ranking studends stay. So normaly spar during that time. And we wait untill the sensei move out to pull those stupid/sick moves. There is nothing worse that a back couch when you are trying to learn something for you by your self (+1).

So last class this friend of mine had spared with a boxer and brought a boxer guard with high hands all over the head.

So i decided to show him that that guard was wrong to use against me.

So i proceded to kick him with my aim in his genitals.

I have good control so i can stop them realy close.

At the first one he complained that he was not using a protection down there.

The secound he complained even more.

After the third realy closing to close to home he decided to change his guard and start protecting more his genitalia.

This is like head shots (punch). If you dont try them, no one trys them from risk of hurting the other. And then no one can actualy protect themsef decently against a head shot.

Ever seen baby tiger play fighting, that is the idea to test and play and learn.

Just today i was testing how to aply a rear naked choke on a friend and he was not being very intusiastic about it. All he wanted was to flex and pump iron. So i squeesed a bit more and told him to project me fowards. And he did throw me foward to the grownd.

Sure he prefered to spend his time pumpin iron, but he learned something valuable more than pumping. And so did i.

Sometimes you just need to push others into training.

I speak for myslef, as i hate to flex anddo push ups and pumping. And normaly someone picks me up and there we go training that.