• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

chinese martial art in ufc

I also agree that there is a lot of misconception about the Chinese Arts.

Agreed.

However what concerns me is that too many people think that Traditional Chinese Arts do not contain hard training such as weights, resistance or heavy contact sparring or fighting.

Good point. Realistic Sparring is a fact of life in any real kung fu school. Even if more often than not the bases have to be grasped and mastered to a degree before it is attempted.

As for weight training it is important to add that its main purpose in kung fu is to create resistance power for the muscles and tendons, i.e. no "pumping" or relatively large muscle mass development.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

easy, get a kung fu guy to train like an athlete for 6-8 hours a day, get pounded from every angle for preparation with people that are athletes.

Then have him train to completely dominate his style of kung fu at that level. that way, he wouldnt just compete, he would win.

Too many unexperienced and unpolished fighters in UFC....

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

easy, get a kung fu guy to train like an athlete for 6-8 hours a day, get pounded from every angle for preparation with people that are athletes.

Then have him train to completely dominate his style of kung fu at that level. that way, he wouldnt just compete, he would win.

There's more to UFC fighting than just taking a beating. While it might look unpolished there is skill within the scope of what goes on in the octagon/ring.

There's more to UFC fighting than just taking a beating. While it might look unpolished there is skill within the scope of what goes on in the octagon/ring.

I would have to agree with HG here. Not everything is going to look pretty in the ring, or on the street, for that matter, because of the ever-changing environment. It is constant adaptation and evaluation in response to what the opponent does.

yes and no. not all pro fighters train 6-8 hours a day, contrary to popular belief. I've got a buddy who trains with couture, so I know that at least their guys usually don't. There are others as well.

As for experience, it's always easy to judge what you perceive as "unexperienced and unpolished" when you are on the outside looking in. I will say Pride fighters are of a higher caliber, but to call ufc guys unexperienced is ridiculous.

But, my guess is you won't see many kung fu guys in ufc anytime soon. People who want to compete these days are not interested in kung fu, and the guys who are already training in seem to have a disinterest in competing for the most part. San shou and shuai chiao stylists could easily perform well with proper training and some ground work. I think many other styles would have to adopt a san shou or shuai chiao style format to start having success.

yes and no. not all pro fighters train 6-8 hours a day, contrary to popular belief. I've got a buddy who trains with couture, so I know that at least their guys usually don't. There are others as well.

As for experience, it's always easy to judge what you perceive as "unexperienced and unpolished" when you are on the outside looking in. I will say Pride fighters are of a higher caliber, but to call ufc guys unexperienced is ridiculous.

But, my guess is you won't see many kung fu guys in ufc anytime soon. People who want to compete these days are not interested in kung fu, and the guys who are already training in seem to have a disinterest in competing for the most part. San shou and shuai chiao stylists could easily perform well with proper training and some ground work. I think many other styles would have to adopt a san shou or shuai chiao style format to start having success.

Yeah it will probably come from a san shou school sooner or later. Shuai Jiao guys might, I think that will depend upon how the rules would effect their throwing.

I was involved in running the Shaui Jiao ring at our tournament last year. A good hard throw is genuinely appreciated by all the competitors. There is none of the incidental contact bickering that plagues the chi sao and sparring divivsions. It is clearly obvious SJ guys are real comfortable working with partners.

[ It is clearly obvious SJ guys are real comfortable working with partners.

Which is probably down to the fact that they actually train as hard as they fight and that they do work hard with parters unlike the majority of other Chinese styles where the norm is merely talking a good fight.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much